Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photo paper

darkroom paper fiber vc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Does anyone have some idea about what paper to get now that Kentmere don't make their Fineprint VC warmtone anymore?

I used to print on this slightly warm, glossy 276 g fiberbase paper with a VC head on my meopta enlarger.

I will have to relearn much of what I did without thinking in the darkroom after just developing and scanning the film I have shot for the last 10 years.

My family got me a medium format system again for christmas...

/Peter

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Does anyone have some idea about what paper to get now that Kentmere don't make their Fineprint VC warmtone anymore?
I used to print on this slightly warm, glossy 276 g fiberbase paper with a VC head on my meopta enlarger.
I will have to relearn much of what I did without thinking in the darkroom after just developing and scanning the film I have shot for the last 10 years.
My family got me a medium format system again for christmas...

/Peter

Your post really took me back to the hours of joy spend in a darkroom, coming out not knowing if it was night or day, so consumed in the photos that I was developing and printing. Happy memories.

Guy

Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Country Flag

You'll have to just try some warm tone papers and find out.  There are a lot more RC paper these days than figerbase from what I see in my local camera store.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have bought some Fomabrom and Ilford Art300 to try. I drymount my better prints and my *very* old press can't be turned down enough for RC papers. The Art paper reminds me of an old Gevært paper that i quite liked. I will have to see how it works out.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Ilford was a bust for me. Something in the substrate reacts with the selenium in my toner and turns the copy into a Black and Greenish rather than a Black and White print, not nice.

Let's hope the Fomabrom is better, otherwise I will have to join the late twentieth century and get a press suitable for RC papers. Or learn how to get nice, rich blacks without selenium...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Fomabrom was much better, but not quite there. My usual supplier then managed to source good old Ilford MGFB warmtone for me, and persuaded our importer to stock it in several sizes. It is a trifle thin at 255 gms but it takes the selenium toner beautifully and tests ph-neutral after only 35 minutes in my Paterson print washer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: darkroom, paper, fiber, vc