Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help pls zoom distance

zoom 18-200mm 55-200mm closeup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Gabriel

Gabriel

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, can someone help me pls in this question.

I have two nikon lenses 

1. 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED DX

2. 55-200mm1:4-5.6G ED DX

Recently i made some test pictures whit the same setings same F number same shutter speed, same iso, and 200mm focal lenght but i noticed that the 55-200mm brings the subject more closer than the 18-200mm lens does is this normal or i should return it for service??

thanks for help

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7913.JPG
  • DSC_7917.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

At what distance are the pictures taken? There are two factors that can work together in this case.

1. Nominal focal length vs actual f/l. Sometimes lenses are marked with a focal length that is rounded to the nearest larger nice and round number.
  2. Focus Breathing. As you focus closer, the focal length becomes shorter because you move elements in the lens relative to each other. Bob Atkins has a good article about this on his site.

The 18-200 is well known as a focus breather, at the near focus limit it is more like a 135 than a 200. To compare tele lenses of different construction, use long distances, for example a moon shot instead of a closer range.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Merco mailed it right on the head. My guess is that the claimed focal length isn't the actual focal length of the lens. Sort of like how they round up engine displacements in cars. 

Gabriel

Gabriel

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Thx for the answers, both pictures were taken from the same distance 9-12 m, well that was an interesting and a very good article, and i now know that at least my lens it is not broken...  have both lenses from.... 1 year or so... but never noticed this before. Now i know a new term "Focus Breathing" :) Thanks guys!!!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Moved to the lens forum :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zoom, 18-200mm, 55-200mm, closeup