Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What software to manage workflow?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I recently went from a MacBook Pro to a Soby vaio. All's good apart from missing iPhoto / aperture.

I can't find anything like the above to manage my workflow.

I use photopshop and very occasionally Lightroom to edit my photos.

So, anyone recommend an iPhoto alternative on windows please?

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

You can try an iPhoto alternative for Windows like Phototheca from Lunarship Software (http://lunarship.com/) or Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) and do your photo editing on Lightroom and/or PS.

HTH

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I'll have a look at phototheca. I tried picasa and it looks great. The only problem is that picasa doesn't handle raw files well and seems to over expose them all.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Depends what iphoto did that you miss. I find Windows Explorer, Adobe Bridge and Photoshop all I need.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I liked the one title does all bit to be honest. It took the files from the camera and managed them nearly per session.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

first subscribe to https://www.youtube....PDSqjfIG_XHlYIg  Anthony Morganti then watch this work flow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tseFToQuTBQ&list=PLllFqBuTM0WI0fC_PujkGoLMyXWXd3yF7&feature=c4-overview-vl another tip Don't use light room to import your pics direct from the card copy them to a directory and then add them to light room catalog , this gives you more control over the filing system 

cheers Mark

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I liked the one title does all bit to be honest. It took the files from the camera and managed them nearly per session.

While I prefer manually moving the pix from the card to the computer, Lightroom will do it all the way through without need for any other software...I found Lightroom more capable than Aperture although I'd used Lightroom previously.  I went the other direction changing to Mac from PC and after spending a couple hours of playing with Aperture, I decided to stick with Lightroom...

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Lightroom always seems to just dump all images in one area regardless of when they were taken.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

While I prefer manually moving the pix from the card to the computer, Lightroom will do it all the way through without need for any other software...I found Lightroom more capable than Aperture although I'd used Lightroom previously.  I went the other direction changing to Mac from PC and after spending a couple hours of playing with Aperture, I decided to stick with Lightroom...

I purchased Lightroom 5 at the tail end of last year and have not yet started to use it in anger and I have not transfered my photo's from Iphoto across. Your post is a real encouragement to me to put it near the top of my 'To Do' list - thanks!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Lightroom always seems to just dump all images in one area regardless of when they were taken.

I believe Lightroom works by default using the date of the photo.  I could be wrong on that as I've only used the defaults a couple of times.  Lightroom is rather flexible about that though...I file my images within a folder structure which makes it very easy for me to track down the original or the produced images.  After I've filed my original images (moved them from the memory card to the folder I have created), I then import to Lightroom from that location.  Lightroom also allows you to create presets so that a group of preset settings can be applied to the group of photos you are importing.  If you have a bunch of settings you normally apply to a certain type of photos, this can save you quite a bit of time.  As an example, I apply some specific settings if I'm shooting a night game on a particular field and other settings if I'm shooting a day game on the same field.  This ends up saving me quite a bit of time and allows me to spend some more time on the exceptions rather than having to adjust settings on all of the photos.

Tony,

I've been working with Lightroom 4 - planning on upgrading to 5 soon...doesn't look like too much difference...

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Not sure Lightroom is for me with filing though. I do the vast majority of my editing in photoshop rather than Lightroom.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Lightroom is primarily a DAM solution and file handler, and vastly superior to Bridge when it comes to finding pictures a year or two later.

Peter Krogh's new ebook The DAM Book Workflow Guide to  Organizing your Photos with Lightroom 5 is well worth the cost.

If you set Photoshop as your default external editor it is as easy to use Lightroom as using Bridge.

You can make presets for import that will save a lot of time, and you can even dump a copy to an external drive automatically on import to make it impossible to forget that kind of backup.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Seems there are a lot of free Lightroom tutorials on this subject about instead of paying for it.

I googled the subject after your suggestion and yep! That's what I was looking for.

I now have a great setup.

Thanks

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Problem solved, I bought an imac to get back to apple :D