Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Exposure with very bright spot

exposure coolpix p520

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

epaul72

epaul72

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNebraska

I use my new Nikon Coolpix p520 primarily to take indoor pictures with available light, manly during church services.  What seems to work best is Program mode with ISO 1600.  I'm very satisfied with the results except for those occasions where there are very bright points in the image, e.g. a window during daytime or candles in a nighttime service.  The exposure is then far too bright.  I have thought of using Exposure Compensation to attempt to control these washed out pictures.  Is there something else that I should be trying?

I have used Canon S series cameras for several years.  They seem to include these bright spots in the exposure and average it out to what I really want, an exposure for the scene that is pleasing with the bright spots appearing as bright spots.

You can see examples (that change every week) at http://blaircongrega..._activities.htm

though there are none of the problem exposure pictures there.  Even working them over in PhotoShop hasn't produced satisfactory results, so I have never posted any of  them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Exposure compensation should work, or maybe lowering the ISO?

Seems strange that the photo is too bright, normally a camera would see the bright window and darken the picture.

If that camera can shoot in raw it may help with minimising the problem when processing it.

epaul72

epaul72

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNebraska

Thanks for the ideas.  I too thought that it was strange to have the picture so bright.  I'm not used to having to fool with settings just because there is a bright spot in the picture.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You could also try using the different metering methods: matrix, centre-weighted or spot. Use what ever suits the situation.

epaul72

epaul72

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNebraska

Russ,

Thanks for the metering idea.  I think that's what I need.  Just from playing with it here at home, it looks as if that will make the exposure what I an used to and expect.

Paul

asokell

asokell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Country Flag
Metering is a good suggestion. Can I ask what you tried in photoshop? Ive found using layer masks to focus on a particular part of the image to be effective especially where its just one area. The problem of course is if the area in question is totally blown out. Then there is nothing for photoshop to recover. In that case you could take a second image that is under exposed, then bring it into ps as a layer and paint through the blown out part. Tricky option though.

Chaos_Realm

Chaos_Realm

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

These are some pretty tough lighting conditions and sometimes it just comes down to making a sacrifice. A camera has only a limited dynamic range and this is something you have to use different methods to work around, small sensor compacts tend to suffer in this area when compared to their large sensor counterparts (dslrs).

Note: lower ISO generally has greater dynamic range, it is just a ballancing act between getting the lowest ISO and a fast enough shutter speed to prevent motion blur.

Probably the first point of call is to pick the parts of the photo that is most important, and meter for that using centerweighted or spot metering. This will mean blown background highlights but you should still get the important part of the shot you were after.

Next thing I would suggest is exposure compensation to reduce the amount of over exposure. Most cameras will handle bringing detail from under exposed images better than blown out shots in post production.

The last and potentially unfesible option is to increase ambient light, thought the use of off camera flash/ constant lighting. This is more down the line of serious ameture/professional and if probably not allowed in your church during services due to it being somewhat distracting.

So basically what the others have said in regards to Metering and Exposure Compensation I think used in conjunction would be the most suitable option here.

epaul72

epaul72

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNebraska

Thank you so much for the thoughtful consideration of my problem.  The situation hasn't arisen since my initial post.  In PS, I haven't tried working with layers really.  I'm used to using the histogram to modify lighting to get things to something satisfactory to me.  The combination of metering, center weighted, and exposure compensation in the camera seem to be a satisfactory solution in my experiments around home.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Good to hear (read).

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

the issue might be white balance since you are shooting indoors. not sure if the coolpix has that option though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exposure, coolpix p520