Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shooting Tethered for Macro Photography

macro tether software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Good day!

I am wondering if anyone here is shooting tethered for their macro work. I'm looking to shoot bugs/insects (dead perhaps) on a makeshift studio at home. I'll be using a Tokina 100mm for this and I would like the entire subject to be in focus so I'm looking at this software called Helicon Focus.

Can anyone share their experience or tips on using the above software? Do you know any alternative to HF?

TIA

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use Zerene Stacker and find it easy to use. Beware of using the focus ring for stacking with a focus breather like the Tokina or the AF Micro-Nikkors. You will get some mismatches in the stack. Use a focusing rail instead. Tethered shooting is very useful for macros, I have a shelf for the Macbook Pro I can clip to one leg on the tripod.

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

That's great! Thank you mate for the suggestion and tips. I'll take a look at Zerene Stacker and compare it with HF.

As for the rail, do you have any specific brand that you recommend? Or any will do such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co...90354607&sr=8-1

Hope to share my macro shots soon to the community. Thanks again!

Cheers!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Fotodiox/Neewer rail works, but is not as sturdy as a Novoflex or RRS rail. Not surprising, since they are 30 times as expensive for a full rail set.

Fotodiox rails come with a 24 month warranty which explains the higher price compared to Neewer.

I use a Novoflex Q rail I got used 25 years ago and it is still slop-free.

/Peter

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, Peter!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: macro, tether, software