Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best lens for macros (D3000)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

andreasb

andreasb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVancouver Island B,C, Canada

Hi i have d3000 which is the best lens for macro pictures , pictures rain drops, flowers bugs . thank you

UntamedSpirit

UntamedSpirit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi i have d3000 which is the best lens for macro pictures , pictures rain drops, flowers bugs . thank you

I have the Tokina 100mm, and its worked great for me so far.  I had rented the Nikon 40mm macro before hand, and had to get so close to it for 1:1 that I blocked a lot of light.  Working with the how close you need to get, and the limited depth of field has been difficult, and I am still very much a newbie, but we've gotten some good shots with it.  We got a cheap ring light that goes on the front, and that has helped with the illumination a lot. :)

old4570

old4570

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmmm , What lens do you have now ? 

The easiest and cheapest way into macro is with close focus filters :  Depending on what lens you have , how much Macro ( cough ) close focus is built into it .. 

I can only speak for Pentax , but the kit lens ( 18-55 ) gets decent results with a +4 filter , and becomes Macro with a +8 filter ..

Im currently undecided about getting the 18-55 kit lens with the Nikon D3200 im going to order ..  

andreasb

andreasb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmmm , What lens do you have now ? 

The easiest and cheapest way into macro is with close focus filters :  Depending on what lens you have , how much Macro ( cough ) close focus is built into it .. 

I can only speak for Pentax , but the kit lens ( 18-55 ) gets decent results with a +4 filter , and becomes Macro with a +8 filter ..

Im currently undecided about getting the 18-55 kit lens with the Nikon D3200 im going to order ..          Hi i have nikiond3000 , ihave 18-55 ,    55-200   ,   , 70 - 300   I was wonding if the 18 - 55 would do a good job . i will look in to the filters thank you 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Diopters are easy to use and cheap, but you will not get as sharp results as with a dedicated macro lens. Since autofocus is difficult to use with macros an old Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8D is doable and quite cheap used compared to the G version which *will* autofocus on the D3000. Tamron and Sigma macro lenses work well, and the current models have built-in focus motors except for the Sigma 50. The Nikkor 60G has a nice bokeh at longer distances and does double duty as a nice portrait lens.

The D3000 is not ideal for macro photography since the pentamirror construction steals some light in the finder, but it can be used.

Like UntamedSpirit said above, the 40 mm lenses are difficult to use because of the short working distance.

My favourite macro lens is a bit too cumbersome on a D3000 because it will not meter, so you would need to take test pictures or at least check the histogram for every picture. It is an *old* Micro -Nikkor, the 105/4 K lens. They were made from 1975 to 1977. Unlike it's more modern cousins it does not change focal length when focused close, which is an advantage.

old4570

old4570

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmmm , auto focus can work , but might be more trouble than its worth ( switch to manual ) 

A half decent macro filter will give you very nice results , especially once you learn the techniques of macro ..

Get on youtube , lots and lots of tutorials . 

One of these days I will have to incorporate Macro photography into my website ...

Hover fly - Macro - NikonForums.com   Look at these , just a D3200 and kit lens ...  ( what I have on the way ) 

2960l93.jpg

A very average sample from my 18-55 kit lens and close focus filter : 

Camera is K200 ( 10MP )  ..

For learning whats needed , or even to find out if you enjoy Macro, the kit lens and a close focus filter is all it takes to take half decent pictures ..

the above image has been downsized and image quality lowered ( smaller file size ) 

When I get my D3200 + kit lens , I will be trying it with the +4 and +8 close focus ( macro ) filters, as the lens takes a 52mm filter and I have those .  

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
I love my Nikkor 105mm micro lens!

andreasb

andreasb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmmm , auto focus can work , but might be more trouble than its worth ( switch to manual ) 

A half decent macro filter will give you very nice results , especially once you learn the techniques of macro ..

One of these days I will have to incorporate Macro photography into my website ...

Hover fly - Macro - NikonForums.com   Look at these , just a D3200 and kit lens ...  ( what I have on the way ) 

2960l93.jpg

For learning whats needed , or even to find out if you enjoy Macro, the kit lens and a close focus filter is all it takes to take half decent pictures ..

the above image has been downsized and image quality lowered ( smaller file size ) 

When I get my D3200 + kit lens , I will be trying it with the +4 and +8 close focus ( macro ) filters, as the lens takes a 52mm filter and I have those .  

2960l93.jpg

Ok thank you i will try that .

andreasb

andreasb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok Thank you .

Diopters are easy to use and cheap, but you will not get as sharp results as with a dedicated macro lens. Since autofocus is difficult to use with macros an old Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8D is doable and quite cheap used compared to the G version which *will* autofocus on the D3000. Tamron and Sigma macro lenses work well, and the current models have built-in focus motors except for the Sigma 50. The Nikkor 60G has a nice bokeh at longer distances and does double duty as a nice portrait lens.

The D3000 is not ideal for macro photography since the pentamirror construction steals some light in the finder, but it can be used.

Like UntamedSpirit said above, the 40 mm lenses are difficult to use because of the short working distance.

My favourite macro lens is a bit too cumbersome on a D3000 because it will not meter, so you would need to take test pictures or at least check the histogram for every picture. It is an *old* Micro -Nikkor, the 105/4 K lens. They were made from 1975 to 1977. Unlike it's more modern cousins it does not change focal length when focused close, which is an advantage.

old4570

old4570

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

2q1hw06.jpg

Came today  = Nikon D3200 + 18-55 Kit lens 

Photo is slightly cropped , and no flash was used ...  Shutter speed is a little low for my liking , 

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow, great picture, especially with the kit lens!