Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I use a d3100 and would like to upgrade. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

jahmed7

jahmed7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have been using a D3100 for nearly two years now and it has been an excellent camera as a beginner. I would like to upgrade to a better model.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

What types of things do you like to shoot or what do you plan on shooting with the new camera?  An equally important question, where do you feel your D3100 is lacking or what is it that you are looking to gain with the upgrade?

I know every Nikon I've shot is capable of taking great photos even if I'm not always up to it!  The key is to find the best match for what you want to shoot, the features you need / want and what you can afford...

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I also started with the 3100, I've since moved to the 7100, it's a fantastic camera and has allowed me to grow as a photographer. 

If your looking to upgrade and want great features then either the 5300 or 7100 will do nicely. Depending on your budget.

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

take your pick, Nikon have a tremendous range, limited only by your budget   :)

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yup it all depends on your budget.

hminniear

hminniear

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I agree with Daniel about budget.  If $$ is no object, then go for best you can afford.  One consideration is sensor size, do you want a full frame or cropped sensor?  If you don't want to spend a lot and want a full frame, I'd go with the D610.  If the cropped frame is your choice, then I'd go with the D7100.   

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

My example is different: few years back I've upgraded from D3100 to D300s - and would do the same again and again and again... But it's only me, so do not take this into consideration :)

D7100 or entry-level FX(D600/610) is a good idea, but bear in mind cost, weight and size of proper FX lenses.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

3300 preview. Sounds like an awesome entry level camera. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eOBvVnKIvcg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Another consideration is your stash of lenses. If you've invested heavily in DX format lenses then moving up to a full frame sensor camera like the 610 or 800 will cost even more because you'll need to upgrade your lenses to take advantage of the larger sensor in those cameras.

--Ron