Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Set Picture Control Not working.

d600 d3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

So iv been doing a few portfolio Pieces over the past few days, and I'm shooting with my camera in different Picture control settings, I have shot from Vivid to Portfolio and even Monochrome, But the problem is when ever I upload the photos to iPhoto or even Lightroom the photos loose their "Effects or Settings" as you will, when i move from photo to photo while I'm waiting for it to load in that split second i will see the original photo with the settings i wanted but then it will quickly change to as if i didn't use a setting at all.

This happens on my D600 and my D3, Why is this doing so? is it just their for preview and is there  anyway i can stop this from happening.

Thanks heaps guys :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

For the picture controls to have any effect, you have to either shoot in jpg (not recommended) or use CaptureNX. If you don't have Capture, you can use ViewNX to open, and then save in 16-bit tiff format.

Adobe have profiles for the different picture controls, some are installed in Lightroom as default, some you can import from their site. Since ACR doesn't use the full EXIF because the camera specific parts differ from the different camera makers you have to choose profile manually in the develop module.

The first preview you see a glimpse of is the jpg embedded in the raw file for the camera to use when generating histograms.

Hope this clarifies things.

/Peter

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

You're shooting RAW and iPhoto & Lightroom don't understand picture controls. The embedded jpeg preview in the .nef file has the picture control applied to it in camera, so you see that, but as soon as LR has interpreted the RAW data that preview is replaced with what LR thinks is right. You could shoot jpeg, or use ViewNX2 (which understands picture controls) to do your raw conversion.

Chris

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

ahh, ok thank you for clearing that up, i think i might use that second card slot to save as JPEG and the first RAW, i do like shooting RAW but i want to see how good the photos come out JPEG. Thanks heaps for clearing that up guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d600, d3