Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Use Nikon flashes off camera without CLS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

fishinfiend

fishinfiend

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
This is how to trigger Nikon flashes (I know the SB-700 works imagine that SB-900 & 910 work, but I think any flash with SU-4 mode should work) with cameras that don't have CLS. Before I bought a flash for my camera I did some research to see if you could fire any of the Nikon flashes if you had a camera without CLS. This is my findings, both my D3100 and Coolpix S8000 (but my Galaxy S4 did not) and they can both trigger my SB-700. Heck, my camera dealer did not even know that this was possible. This is how it done.

First you have to put the flash into SU-4 mode. Turn on your flash and press the menu button. Next turn the dial until you get to the Remote menu item. Select it, then select SU-4. Now turn the power dial to remote and pop up your camera flash and start shooting.

Note: I recommend either using the on camera glash in manual mode or drop the flash exposure a few stops so you don't over expose the photo.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you don't put the pop-up flash in manual, the SU-4 will fire the external flash twice because of the metering preflash. If you use less than half power this will work anyway but the flash will use up batteries quickly. This might even be desirable to minimize red-eye, but you need to be aware of it.