Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

To sell my D5100 or Get it converted to an IR camera

irphotography infrared d5100

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

So I popped into my local camera store today and had a quick chat to them about consigning my D5100, after some consideration and thought I felt maybe I would just pay $50 and get it converted to take IR photos. The camera store sadly doesn't do these transformations but I know I can find someone who does or at least watch a youtube Video and do it my self.

What I wanted to ask was has anyone done this conversion, should I do it my self, or just make $500 form my camera and lenses I know longer use. All opinions are welcome.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Sell the camera and just convert photos to infrared with post processing software.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I am assuming you have another camera to take the place of the D5100? Sounds like a FX Body maybe since you were mentioning selling lenses too...

If I were in that position I'd just sell the D5100 while the market is still good for it. In a few years it will be so old you'll be lucky to be $250 for it. Are you really going to shoot enough IR to make NOT selling it worthwhile? If you really want to have a dedicated IR camera you could just buy and modify an older model that someone is selling for $200 and pocket the extra $300. best of both worlds there... and if you really don't shoot that much IR you're not out of a ton of money.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Yea i have 2 FX cameras now, And i had a IR filter for my 35mm f/1.8 but the shots are so bad with it, you need to have a heaps long exposure time just to get light into the photos, I am really interested in what K-9 has said with post process software, what good ones are out there? stand along or plug ins for Lightroom?

Also AfterImage how much should i maybe let the D5100 go for, do i sell it with the 35mm or sell that separately.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Alien Skin's Exposure, which is a film emulation plug in for Lightroom/Photoshop has a conversion to IR that looks great.  I believe if you get the latest version, it can also work as a stand alone.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

amazing K-9 like always thanks.

• K-9 likes this

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Depending on condition somewhere around $450 for a direct sale or $300 for trade-in would be a good median price. Personally, I never sell my old gear as a "package" because you end up discounting everything twice. Sell the 35mm separately from the body if you can, you'll end up make a little more money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: irphotography, infrared, d5100