Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best settings for low light shooting with a D90

low light

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

jorgesanchez74

jorgesanchez74

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I everyone! I'm fairly new to photography and would like some recommendations on some settings for shooting in low light with my Nikon D90.

Thank you

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
You'll need to tell us what you're shooting. Think of exposure as a triangle, the three factors involved are; ISO. This is the sensitivity of the sensor. In film days, we bought different sensitivity film according to what we shot. These days, we adjust it in the menu settings. Higher numbers for ISO mean you need less light, BUT ...the quality is affected. Up to 400 is fine, above that, you must consider quality loss. SHUTTER SPEED. This is the length of time the shutter is open. 1/1000 is open a very short time compared to 1/60. Therefore 1/1000 needs more light than 1/60. BUT...the slower the shutter speed, lower number, the more chance that camera shake will be shown. Using a tripod or VR will help. A general rule of thumb is to never let the shutter speed number go lower then the lens length. If the lens is 80mm, set the shutter to at least 1/100. If the lens is 300mm, you'll need at least 1/320. APERTURE. the hole in the lens. The bigger the number, the less light comes in, because the hole is smaller. BUT...the bigger number allows a bigger depth of field, more stuff is in focus. Balancing the three factors is where the art, or magic, comes in. I shoot music gigs, there isn't much light, I could use flash, but that would spoil the effect, and annoy everyone, so I set that ISO between 1600 & 3200, that gathers more light, but gets grainy, but, in this instance, grain adds to the picture. People don't mind grainy gig photos. I have the aperture as wide as my lens will allow, then stepped down one number, as most lens don't perform well wide open. This gathers more light, but there isn't much in focus. Head shots of singers or guitar fingers are fine because everything else is blurred, but wide stage shots need more depth of field. My shutter speed is usually 1/60 - 1/200. As low as I can hold without blur. Shooting in RAW rather than JPG will also allow you to bring out darker shots later. Switch to manual and have a play about with all the settings, take the same shot while changing all three factors, after a while, you'll start to work out what does what, then you can work out what settings you need before you even take the camera out of the bag, making small adjustments as you go.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

That was an excellent explanation.

To simplify, set your ISO at 1600, your shutter at 1/60 or 1/100, and your aperture as wide open as it will go. 

If the D90 has an "auto ISO" option (I think it does), you can use that too. Set the upper level on the ISO at 1600, lower at 100, slowest shutter speed at 1/60 or 1/100 (I use 1/100) and the aperture should set itself. 

Good luck!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I everyone! I'm fairly new to photography and would like some recommendations on some settings for shooting in low light with my Nikon D90.

Thank you

Are you shooting on a tripod or hand-held?  And what are you looking to photograph?  The settings you should use will vary greatly based on the subject & shooting conditions.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Morticiaskeeper gave an excellent explanation of the three factors that combine to control the final image.  Since they combine together to create the image, in low light situations, you will likely have to push the limits of one or more of the settings in order to get a usable image.  Information on what you are trying to shoot will help us guide you in terms of the combination of settings that is normally used for that type of shooting.  Different subjects have certain requirements that will influence one or more of those settings.  For example, most sports require a fast shutter speed in order to stop the action.  That's easy to do if you are shooting a game on a sunny afternoon, but not as easy if you are shooting a game at night or indoors. 

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

Don't forget about WB or you will have a lot of PP work. Use manual settings in K - with D90 you can :) Press WB, scroll rear knob until you see K on your top screen and then while holding WB scroll front knob to change settings. Use something around 2700-2800K in dim to get more natural light on your photos, 3000-3200K with tungsten ambient light and if you have mixed tungsten and sunlight change it to about 3900-4100 depending on the amount of sun/artificial light. When you shoot for example city nightscapes stay around 2800-3300K depending on light conditions - check on your LCD and adjust it if necessary.

You need to specify your low light subject as there are various settings for various situations.

Is it night photography, is it macro or club photography.

And with regards to ISO - for me personally ISO 1600 in low light conditions is unacceptable-far too grainy. 1200 max keeping in mind sensor performance in D90. I have D300s - so sensor is the same.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Subject is key for both white balance and ISO...you don't always have the option of shooting under 1600 ISO though...most shots I take are above 1600 - most at 6400 - and they are as good as any you will find taken on those fields...I'm more than happy to shoot lower if I can, but most of the fields just don't have enough lighting.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Subject is key for both white balance and ISO...you don't always have the option of shooting under 1600 ISO though...most shots I take are above 1600 - most at 6400 - and they are as good as any you will find taken on those fields...I'm more than happy to shoot lower if I can, but most of the fields just don't have enough lighting.

I have a D80 and I believe the upper limit for ISO is 1600, same as mine. 

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
The D80 will go to 3200, but it's called something else!

In the film days, we just underexposed the film, then processed it for longer.

Lightening up a RAW file in software must be pretty much the same.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

The D80 will go to 3200, but it's called something else!

In the film days, we just underexposed the film, then processed it for longer.

Lightening up a RAW file in software must be pretty much the same.

H 0.3

H 0.7

H 1.0

I've never used those H settings. 

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag

H 0.3
H 0.7
H 1.0

I've never used those H settings.

Don't! unless you REALLY need the shot, and want to spend a long time cleaning things up:-)

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

To shoot on law light you need:

1) set high ISO

2) Use minimal F

3) Use a long exposure time.

You can make different combination of this things, so just choose what do you need. To use long exposure time you will also need a tripod. You can use flashlight but be ready that it will kill natural white ballance and shadows.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

H1 on the D80 is equivalent to 3200 ISO...Just to be clear, I am not suggesting using it or that it is the best choice.  I'm simply suggesting that some situations may force you to use it.  In my case, I've shot up to 25800 (H2 - max on D600 and other bodies).  Not because I had to, but because I already had to shoot at a high ISO and I wanted to see what it could do at that level.  Depending on the shot, it was usable - not great and in some cases not even good, but I now know what I'm dealing with should I have to shoot at that ISO...

MIM

MIM

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello everyone!
I am having this same question of shooting in low light situations. I started taking photos of bands at various locations with a Nikon L310 (damaged), and then a L320 (not currently in use). I recently received two DSLRs (Canon EOS Rebel Xti and a Nikon D90).
I am having trouble getting good quality in low lighting indoors when the light atmosphere is darker. I am doing ok outside and I am open to suggestions on that.
I took some pictures at a Black Uhuru concert and I struggled to get good photos from various angles.

I read this post and the feedback regarding the settings and tried them and play around within those parameters. I got some ok shots, but they could be better.

I shoot in Raw+Jpeg (Raw+Fine).

Any help is welcomed!

Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What software do you use to convert your raw files? The files from these old DSLRs benefit more than most from a really good raw converter. It might be worth your time to try out Photo Ninja or Capture one. These applications get more DR and lower noise levels than most at high ISO values.

What lenses do you use? Low light calls for fast primes or the f/1.8 zooms from Sigma shot more or less wide open.

• MIM likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree and posting an example with the EXIF information (ISO, Shutter, Aperture) would be helpful as well.

• MIM likes this

MIM

MIM

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
I am a hard time navigating the site... for now since I am new. How do I post a photo of what I've took, so you may assist me better?
Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

How to Post Photos on the Forum - Post Your Photos - NikonForums.com

emilyanderson

emilyanderson

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
Somewhat outdated, is quite the understatement this camera is over ten years old. In that last decade, sensor technology has made big advances, and largely in the ability to capture images in very low light.

I have a Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm lens (though I am unsure of the aperture range).

I get excellent results in good light levels (despite the body being somewhat outdated), but struggle in low light conditions without a flash.

Low light photography using Nikon D90. Using a flash, I am able to get some low light photos of close up subjects, but not of a wider subject matter (in particular bands on a stage at local gigs) without dramatically lowering the shutter speed, naturally resulting in slightly blurred pictures that are still dark.

Thanks 

MIM

MIM

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

What software do you use to convert your raw files? The files from these old DSLRs benefit more than most from a really good raw converter. It might be worth your time to try out Photo Ninja or Capture one. These applications get more DR and lower noise levels than most at high ISO values.

What lenses do you use? Low light calls for fast primes or the f/1.8 zooms from Sigma shot more or less wide open.

Merco!

This is news to me for file converters, etc.  Being in the learning mode of the industry, this is new to me for a converter and other applications. 

The lens: AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm I:3.5-4.5G ED

Thanks for your help with this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: low light