Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FX

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Carolina Coast

Thinking of getting a FX body, I'm quite happy with my DX cameras but would like to try out a FX. Before everyone starts screaming mirrorless, I need to use the 20+ MF and AF and AFD lenses with it without an adaptor. Currently looking at a D5

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

A quick Ebay scan shows low-shutter count D5 bodies at under $2K, and low-shutter count D4 at about $1K. 

How much do you want to spend?

The D4 is going for less than the Df. I bought the Df first day it was available in camera shops.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

You know I have the Nikon D5, great camera I paid, 1700Euro about $1850, I bought boxed with all must include, and gift 3 XQD cards and the Sony XQD reader and two EN-EL18a original batteries one new as extras. (It comes with 200k shots and near mint appearance).

I don't regret about buy it. ;)

Here is the post I created when I bought it.

D5 Second Hand - Nikon FX DSLRs - NikonForums.com

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

One thing to remember about the D5 is that it is a much more specialized tool for low-light than the D4 or D3. The DR at low ISO is much smaller than other FX cameras from the same time. Depending on how you like to shoot, a D850 can be a better match.

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

OK while looking for a FX camera got a deal on a D600 with battery, charger, software disc and 28-85 AFD lens for $275! I took it. anay warnings complaints or tips for this body, should have it in hand within a week.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I hope the original owner had it serviced during the recall. The original shutter had a habit of sputtering oil onto the sensor. Other than that, they were, and are, good cameras.

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

I hope the original owner had it serviced during the recall. The original shutter had a habit of sputtering oil onto the sensor. Other than that, they were, and are, good cameras.

Will check that out shutter count is a 78k and also comes with Vivitar battery grip with both en15 and AA battery trays. Even if I have to have it serviced it sounded like a good deal

Will check that out shutter count is a 78k and also comes with Vivitar battery grip with both en15 and AA battery trays. Even if I have to have it serviced it sounded like a good deal

and comes with 6 week return policy

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I never had, in my hands, a Nikon D600 or D610 yet.

Lately, I checked/used other cameras like D750 and D780 of my photographer friends when they want photos of them, doing any kind of silly funny pose. :lol:

All are High-end cameras, and very light compared to my heavy tanks like D3,D4,D5.

I think the D780 it's the last and best of all digital FX High-end cameras and the great unknown, it has technology from Z6, but it's not the style of cameras that I like to use, if it would surely It will be my choice.

I think that if you use D600 at daytime with sunlight, surely it's great. Maybe at night or indoors you need a Nikon SpeedLight flash more powerful mind about it, the built-in flash seems a bit weak for my standards.

Try first how works at ISO 6400 at night, I was surprised by D3 that shot at night without flash with not bad results, even better than expected.

78k in shooter count, maybe it's about 50% of life of the D600 camera shooter. Remember, only the flagships are like new with 78k.

But $275 with all extras, you can take the risk. Check the sensor, it's not oily like PeterS said ... you must realize several photos in one day to check.

Soon in summer or end of spring when the sun starts to be nasty here in Barcelona ... I will start to use again D3 and D3s for the Mini-Challenges. :P

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Country Flag

I never had, in my hands, a Nikon D600 or D610 yet.

Lately, I checked/used other cameras like D750 and D780 of my photographer friends when they want photos of them, doing any kind of silly funny pose. :lol:

All are High-end cameras, and very light compared to my heavy tanks like D3,D4,D5.

I think the D780 it's the last and best of all digital FX High-end cameras and the great unknown, it has technology from Z6, but it's not the style of cameras that I like to use, if it would surely It will be my choice.

I think that if you use D600 at daytime with sunlight, surely it's great. Maybe at night or indoors you need a Nikon SpeedLight flash more powerful mind about it, the built-in flash seems a bit weak for my standards.

Try first how works at ISO 6400 at night, I was surprised by D3 that shot at night without flash with not bad results, even better than expected.

78k in shooter count, maybe it's about 50% of life of the D600 camera shooter. Remember, only the flagships are like new with 78k.

But $275 with all extras, you can take the risk. Check the sensor, it's not oily like PeterS said ... you must realize several photos in one day to check.

Soon in summer or end of spring when the sun starts to be nasty here in Barcelona ... I will start to use again D3 and D3s for the Mini-Challenges. :P

Was in Spain a few times in Navy. Loved Malaga, Rota, and Ibiza

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The D600 had a problem with spots on images taken with them due to oil or dust in the mirror box. Nikon had a service advisory issued for this camera that supposedly fixed the problem. Nikon would check these cameras and replace the shutter mechanism free of charge if a problem was found. Sadly, the service advisory expired in January of 2020. 

It would probably be a good idea for you to check your camera carefully (while you can still return it) to make sure that it doesn't exhibit this problem. Not all D600's were affected and many of the ones that did were either repaired or replaced by Nikon.

The D610 camera was a direct replacement for the D600 that incorporated the updated shutter mechanism.  

--Ron

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

The D850 is still the best DSLR that Nikon, or anyone else, ever made. It is fast, tough, not too big, has a sensor yet to be bettered, will focus as well as anything and still has state of the art resolution. On top of that, the discount stores are selling them ridiculously cheaply now. Oh and they’ll take just about any F-mount lens. 

The D5 was made for sheer speed and ridiculous low-light performance - and that at the expense of less than half the resolution of the D850. If you need either of those two attributes and only if you need them, get a D5.

I do a lot of photographs of things that move quickly and the D850 was plenty fast enough for me. Mine replaced a D610 which was okay but would miss focus on stuff it should have caught. The D850 never missed on anything. Mine got sold due to the pandemic/cost of living crisis otherwise I’d probably never have parted with it. 

PS I’m pretty sure that somewhere, in a secret storeroom in Japan, there is a box marked ‘D880’ wherein lies a prototype of a DSLR based on a D850 but with the Sony 61mp sensor in it. Now I’d have been tempted to swap my D850 for that - but only that :D

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The D850 is still the best DSLR that Nikon, or anyone else, ever made. It is fast, tough, not too big, has a sensor yet to be bettered, will focus as well as anything and still has state of the art resolution. On top of that, the discount stores are selling them ridiculously cheaply now. Oh and they’ll take just about any F-mount lens. 

The D5 was made for sheer speed and ridiculous low-light performance - and that at the expense of less than half the resolution of the D850. If you need either of those two attributes and only if you need them, get a D5.

I do a lot of photographs of things that move quickly and the D850 was plenty fast enough for me. Mine replaced a D610 which was okay but would miss focus on stuff it should have caught. The D850 never missed on anything. Mine got sold due to the pandemic/cost of living crisis otherwise I’d probably never have parted with it. 

PS I’m pretty sure that somewhere, in a secret storeroom in Japan, there is a box marked ‘D880’ wherein lies a prototype of a DSLR based on a D850 but with the Sony 61mp sensor in it. Now I’d have been tempted to swap my D850 for that - but only that :D

I agree D5 and D850 are totally different cameras, it's like compare a Tesla (D850) car with a Hammer car (D5) :lol:

Both cameras from same Nikon era and totally radical different proposes.

Nikon D5 is a professional workhorse excellence like all Nikon flagships, created to endure the worst hostile conditions, and you can carry to do any job... it will be done with safety, and the Hi-ISO and Fps Speed it's the best for spotting birds, sports, race cars or other kind of events even weddings if someone run away. :D

D850 it's the Hi-Megapixel DSLR the best camera of its kind, landscapes, astronomy or photos with MAX details with tripod and low speed and low ISO, it's unbeatable.

They are like Day and Night. B)

Note : I hope you soon can buy a Nikon D850 again, John. You're still in love with that camera. :wub:

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

D850 it's the Hi-Megapixel DLSR the best camera of its kind, landscapes, astronomy or photos with MAX details with tripod and low speed and low ISO, it's unbeatable.

They are like Day and Night. B)

Note : I hope you soon can buy a Nikon D850 again, John. You're still in love with that camera. :wub:

I would definitely be tempted by another D850, I could get a new grey import one for about £1500 now! That is a real bargain.

it’s not quite as simple as the D5 for speed and the D850 for resolution though. I had the latest model 70-200/2.8 Nikkor (which is the only one that is sharp at 2.8) and it is a killer combination. The only other lenses I’ve had that were that good were Leica primes. The focusing is, for my purposes as quick as the the D5 although tracking on the D850 was not as good. However, I’ve never owned a camera with subject tracking that worked properly, so I don’t really miss it. I terms of frame rate, again there isn’t as much in it as it would first appear. I believe the D5 runs at 12fps with full metering and AF whereas the D850 ‘only’ does 7fps. If you need it to go faster, the battery grip and 18v battery (expensive!) take it to 9fps. For me, I tend to shoot on single shot, so not an issue.

The big difference for me is that the 45mp sensor of the D850 & the 70-200/2.8 allowed me a lot of latitude to crop the image whereas if I’d had the 20mp sensor of the D5 I’d have needed at least a 300/2.8 to get any thing close to the same image size! That’s and expensive and very heavy combo!!! A lot of the top dog photographers used the D5 & 300/2.8 combo and their images are magical - but they sit still and let the dogs move whereas I go out on three-hour walks :D

In truth, I will probably end up with a Nikon mirrorless - a Z8 would be nice but very unlikely. The Z6iii would probably do the job (when it arrives!) but I think that will be a £3k camera. The Z6ii is now getting much cheaper and would probably do the trick… maybe. 

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I would definitely be tempted by another D850, I could get a new grey import one for about £1500 now! That is a real bargain.

it’s not quite as simple as the D5 for speed and the D850 for resolution though. I had the latest model 70-200/2.8 Nikkor (which is the only one that is sharp at 2.8) and it is a killer combination. The only other lenses I’ve had that were that good were Leica primes. The focusing is, for my purposes as quick as the the D5 although tracking on the D850 was not as good. However, I’ve never owned a camera with subject tracking that worked properly, so I don’t really miss it. I terms of frame rate, again there isn’t as much in it as it would first appear. I believe the D5 runs at 12fps with full metering and AF whereas the D850 ‘only’ does 7fps. If you need it to go faster, the battery grip and 18v battery (expensive!) take it to 9fps. For me, I tend to shoot on single shot, so not an issue.

The big difference for me is that the 45mp sensor of the D850 & the 70-200/2.8 allowed me a lot of latitude to crop the image whereas if I’d had the 20mp sensor of the D5 I’d have needed at least a 300/2.8 to get any thing close to the same image size! That’s and expensive and very heavy combo!!! A lot of the top dog photographers used the D5 & 300/2.8 combo and their images are magical - but they sit still and let the dogs move whereas I go out on three-hour walks :D

In truth, I will probably end up with a Nikon mirrorless - a Z8 would be nice but very unlikely. The Z6iii would probably do the job (when it arrives!) but I think that will be a £3k camera. The Z6ii is now getting much cheaper and would probably do the trick… maybe. 

I have the old Nikon 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AI-S (manual focus) and it's awesome and heavy I agree, I visited the Barcelona Zoo with it and Nikon D4. And I will repeat that experience again with Nikon D5 this time.

Nikon 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AI-S
https://www.kenrockw...n/300mm-f28.htm

53149787157_2a3368dd07_b.jpgTaste of Victory by Guadalupe Cruz, on Flickr

Nikon D4
ƒ/2.8
300.0 mm
1/1000
400 ISO

I used Nikon 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF with HE-4 Hood.

WanderingShutter

WanderingShutter

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a D750 and it is fantastic. Though the D780 is upgraded and has better video and features. Up in price range/features/size is the D810 & D850. Super reliable, and so nice to use. Having all of the controls on the outside makes shooting a breeze. Although the D7XX have more controls on the outside than the D8XX does.

WanderingShutter

WanderingShutter

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Honestly, besides the Z9 (naturally) the D850 is the most amazing camera.