Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens gray marking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

kladnerla

kladnerla

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Is this a USA or Gray market lens?

NikonGrayLettering.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That’s impossible to tell. Check with the seller if the yellow Nikon USA paperwork exists and the serial numbers match. Check the serial number with Nikon USA, you might get an answer… The only difference is that the serial numbers are within a range intended to be sold on the US market.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

At one time all Nikon lenses designated for sale in the United States were marked with a US before or after the serial number. That has not been the case for some time. As Peter noted, if you get the extra warranty paperwork (the yellow 4 additional year warranty registration slip) and the serial numbers match, you have a US market lens. If you bought the lens used it's difficult to tell. The lens could be either US market or Gray Market. I'm not sure if there's a publicly accessible database of US market serial numbers. Somehow, I doubt it.

Edit: by the way... when purchasing Nikon lenses, you need to be sure to specify whether you want US market lenses or not. In many cases the prices are the same or nearly the same for both gray market and US market lenses. However, the US market lenses still come with an additional warranty which makes it worth the effort to make sure you get US market lenses. 

--Ron

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

I don't mean to hi-jack this topic, just asking. I had read that Nikon stopped the 5 year warranty on all lens. I purchased my 70-200 f2.8 from B&H and ask if it was US or Gray market before I got it, the assured me it was US. the warranty is 1 year.. ?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don't mean to hi-jack this topic, just asking. I had read that Nikon stopped the 5 year warranty on all lens. I purchased my 70-200 f2.8 from B&H and ask if it was US or Gray market before I got it, the assured me it was US. the warranty is 1 year.. ?

The warranty is one year again. There is still a Nikon USA warranty card in the paperwork bundle, together with the manual.

kladnerla

kladnerla

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

What I really want to know is this how Nikon labels their new lenses? I have not seen these gray markings on most lenses, It is usually white lettering.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don’t know when they started doing only the functional markings in white, some lenses I bought new around 2016 have his text in grey and some, bought the same time, in white. My FX 35/1.8 in F-mount has the grey markings, the 24/1.8 I bought on the same day is white. All my Z-mount lenses are grey…

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Okay, you guys got me cold. I had no idea that Nikon had ditched the 5 year USA warranty. I apologize for the error. 

--Ron