Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D750 Viewfinder Not Illuminating, Rear LCD Stuck On Clock Has Been Reset

viewfinder rear lcd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Skinz

Skinz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D750 that was purchased new about 2 yrs ago. My backpack was stolen which had my charger in it, in return the camera was completely dead for about a week. I bought a new charger, charged the batteries for the camera and external grip. When I put the fully charged batteries in and powered the camera on, the viewfinder display had no information. No metering, no ISO, no shutter speed, no nothing. Also I noticed that my rear LCD display was stuck on "Clock Has Been Reset." When attempting to reset the clock I wasn't able to move the arrows to change time and date. Not even the joystick or arrow keys on the camera are allowing me to move the highlighted areas to change date and time, it's completely stuck on that screen. I hope I've made the problem clear, if not I'm happy to help further with more info. I've also added two images that highlight the viewfinder and LCD screen. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Mackenzie.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0780.jpg
  • IMG_0779.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

How long has the battery been in the camera after charging? The internal clock battery might have run down while the camera was empty. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Hi Mackenzie,

If you're sure that the batteries are good, I guess I would try doing a reset. You might want to remove the grip first, just to eliminate the possibility of a fault in that unit preventing the camera from working.

--Ron

Skinz

Skinz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

How long has the battery been in the camera after charging? The internal clock battery might have run down while the camera was empty. 

The battery has been in for 3 days now. I thought the same thing you did, maybe the internal clock is dead?? The camera is still stuck on "clock has been reset." Still not able to adjust the clock or date at all. Joystick and arrow toggles will not move.

Hi Mackenzie,

If you're sure that the batteries are good, I guess I would try doing a reset. You might want to remove the grip first, just to eliminate the possibility of a fault in that unit preventing the camera from working.

--Ron

Yeah, batteries are fine. I tried doing a reset on the camera by pressing the 2 green dots at the same time and nothing, still stuck on the same "clock has been reset" screen. The camera is literally stuck on that screen. I've removed the external grip and same issue, still stuck. One thing I find very strange is when a SD card is inserted and you power on the camera, an hourglass shows up for a split second, disappears, then you get a completely black screen and nothing works. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting and I have found no fix what so ever. It's the weirdest thing.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I guess at this point you have two options. One is, of course, taking it or sending it in for service. The other would be to just let the camera set for awhile with a good battery in it and see if it eventually recharges the internal clock battery. The problem with the second option is that, even if the internal battery eventually recharges, the fact that it drained to the point where it's stuck in this loop indicates a possible problem with either the battery or camera circuitry.

I agree. It's weird.

--Ron

Skinz

Skinz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I guess at this point you have two options. One is, of course, taking it or sending it in for service. The other would be to just let the camera set for awhile with a good battery in it and see if it eventually recharges the internal clock battery. The problem with the second option is that, even if the internal battery eventually recharges, the fact that it drained to the point where it's stuck in this loop indicates a possible problem with either the battery or camera circuitry.

I agree. It's weird.

--Ron

Hi Ron,

I agree with you 100%. I want to first thank you for taking time to help me with this issue, it's much appreciated. One more question for you if you don't mind?? What actions do I need to take on getting this camera repaired? And is the cost normally worth it?? I've been thinking about switching to mirrorless and maybe this is a good reason to switch?? I live in ABQ and there aren't too many reputable camera companies here. Do I just send to Nikon directly?? Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you again for your help.

• Ron likes this

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,697 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I think, unless you're lucky enough to be round the corner from a repair company, it'll have to be posted somewhere.

In the UK, a s/h D750 in good order is likely to cost £500 - £700.

Certainly worth getting a quote on repair.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Hi Ron,

I agree with you 100%. I want to first thank you for taking time to help me with this issue, it's much appreciated. One more question for you if you don't mind?? What actions do I need to take on getting this camera repaired? And is the cost normally worth it?? I've been thinking about switching to mirrorless and maybe this is a good reason to switch?? I live in ABQ and there aren't too many reputable camera companies here. Do I just send to Nikon directly?? Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you again for your help.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Excuse me though... ABQ? I'm not sure I know what that means. Could you elaborate a bit?

As to service for your Nikon. If there isn't someplace local, I guess I would contact Nikon directly.

The D750 is a popular Nikon body so it might be worth fixing. Doesn't hurt to check.

Moving to mirrorless is probably not a bad idea though. Nikon currently lists the Z6II for about $1600US which is a pretty good deal.

--Ron

Skinz

Skinz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry for the delay in answering. Excuse me though... ABQ? I'm not sure I know what that means. Could you elaborate a bit?

As to service for your Nikon. If there isn't someplace local, I guess I would contact Nikon directly.

The D750 is a popular Nikon body so it might be worth fixing. Doesn't hurt to check.

Moving to mirrorless is probably not a bad idea though. Nikon currently lists the Z6II for about $1600US which is a pretty good deal.

--Ron

Hi Ron!! No worries at all on the delay. As for ABQ is Albuquerque, NM. I have an update for you. I woke up this morning after adding a fresh, brand new, fully charged battery to my camera LCD working again. All controls are working fine, but for some odd reason still no information in the physical viewfinder other than focus points. It's kind of a pain but the camera is functioning. I even updated the firmware and still no info in the viewfinder. I'm guessing there is a lose connector or something?? Thank you again for your help, it's truly appreciated. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: viewfinder, rear lcd