Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New D850

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

I was going to title this as a question about DX lens on the D850, but I realized I really wanted to talk about my new camera. A few months ago I ask about the D850 vs my D5600 and appreciate all the great response. Some explaining that being just hobby for me the D5600 could do most of whatever I would ever need or a less expensive model. However this was a situation that may not ever happen again for me, after months of thinking I purchsed a new D850. It is huge compared to the D5600! I is a lot louder than my current D5600, I was wondering if that was normal. even the Q mode is still loud. Found some youtube videos about the sound when taking pictures and the video was just as loud, guess it is part of a bigger camera. I am reading David Busch book on the D850, to me it is a great read, he explains very well about everything. Some is mind blowing, I don't see how anyone would ever us all the options, but will use for referennce for years to come.  I have not taken many pictures yet, still reading and testing in the house. When I put the Nikon 70-200 lens on it, it snaps in place perfect. Holding it while reading the book and testing , the 70-200 is in the way. So I put my Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 / DX lens on it to be easier to hold while learning the settings. The lens goes on and takes pictures, but it feels harder to get on, like I am forcing it to twist into place. I fear it may damage something. From what I have read the DX lens can be used with the D850. Should there be a difference in the feel when mounting the lens?

I am sure I will have many questions to come. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The difference in feel is pretty usual when comparing cheapish consumer products to the professional range. It is all a matter of tolerances. The outliers in fit don’t pass quality control and are adjusted before delivery to the end user in the case of the pro range. As long as you can mount the lens on the body and it locks in place, there is no risk to lens or camera involved.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

My own personal experience with all my Nikon "flagships" cameras and my different lenses, I agree with Peter S.

When you hear the "click" when you twist the lens, then all, it's OK. All lenses model will be a bit different, don't worry too much about it.

The eject button, it's strong enough to permit to remove the lens after without prob, even using adapters or macro tubes.

I never damage my camera or lens in the process, so it's safe enough.

By the way, congrats with your new D850 ;)

ml_work

ml_work

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

It makes sense, you get what you pay for. The 35mm f1.8 DX seems to go on the D5600 more smoothly too, so I guess it is consumer to consumer product match up better. Thanks for your reply, I will mount the 35mm DX on the D850 without fear of damaging the camera now., much easier to handle while exploring the D850.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm green with envy!

--Ron