Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Variable zoom, long exposure. Nikon D3500 with kit lens

variable zoom long exposure d3500

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

abs1962

abs1962

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi, I have a Nikon D3500 with the kit lens 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR.

I have searched both the body's and the lens' manual, but I have not been able to find the information I need.

I have been playing to get a special effect. With a long shutter speed of a few seconds and all settings in manual mode, and the VR feature enabled, I manually changed the focal length from 55 mm to 18 mm, during the period of time in which the long exposure was taking place.

It was just an experiment, just to see how the photo could look like, if I tried it seriously in the future. When I did the experiment, I noticed that the zoom ring offered a mechanical resistance to rotation slightly stronger than the one I feel when I select a focal length before shooting, in the ordinary way.

So my doubt is if performing this "variable zoom" thing while exposing could be detrimental to the lens, if something in the lens could break down for forcing the rotation of the zoom ring of the lens while exposing, or if it is a safe, ordinary procedure.

I hope someone will be able to offer some comment on this. Thank you in advance for your time anyway.

Antonio

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I had a go at this. It's a well documented effect.

I don't see how this activity could damage the lens.

MbG9aHW.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,520 posts
  • Country Flag
Doing the above experiment on a purely mechanical lens would make no harm to it.
You are doing this experiment on an AF-P (same is valid for AFS-S) lens, which has two « features » : autofocussing and image stabilization (VR)
Feeling an unusual mechanical resistance while doing the operation means that one of the two set of components above does « something » inside the lens, to do what it is designed for. Putting mechanical stress (zooming in/out) on a component that seems to try to compensate is surely not beneficial, though it might not be harmful - I can’t tell you if it is within the design tolerance.

You mention that the VR is ON
Looking at how the VR works in a Nikon lens
https://www.nikonimg...igured=1〈=en_SG
It sounds to me that the force you are acting against is a magnetic force coming from the Voice Coil Motors

My recommendation for this experiment would be to turn AF and VR OFF to have the lens not activate any motors.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

Antonio, I agree with Jerry, better go to M mode and off the AF and the VR, just in case.

Antonio, yo estoy de acuerdo con Jerry, mejor ir al modo M "manual"  y apagar el AF y el VR, por si acaso.

Pete, nice robot... I like it :P

abs1962

abs1962

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Thank you very much to everybody for your prompt replay.

I have repeated the experiment with the VR feature disabled.

To be honest, this time I felt no difference between having VR disabled, enabled or shooting the ordinary way (selecting focal length and, after that, shooting). It seems that all this is somewhat subjective, or that there is just a small difference in any case. I will disable VR and put everything in manual mode when I do this thing, as an extra caution.

Thank you very much to everyone again!

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Antonio, In manual mode, no shit should happen, and if you also deactivate the VR it is even safer for you.

Remember, the new G model lens are made in China and Thailand with full plastic. Not to endure like the old manual lens of the golden era of Nikon.

If something wrong happens, the good news it's that can you find a second hand kit lens 18-55 mm for 50 Euro.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Lupe, the AF-P lenses are very different from the old AF-S kit lenses…

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Lupe, the AF-P lenses are very different from the old AF-S kit lenses…

Yes, I noticed.  :rolleyes: 

I have a Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S DX, I used in Nikon D2x.
Nikon 18-70mm Review

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: variable zoom, long exposure, d3500