Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7000

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Carolina Coast

While I'm happy withy D300s, I've decided to try FX and bought A D7000! Any suggestions, tips, warnings, etc?

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Country Flag

Looks like I may have been led astray, I find internet articles listing the D7000 as DX and FX. Guess I'll find out when I get it, but if DX is it significantly better than my D300s?

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

D7000 is DX for sure, the FX is D700.

Nikon D300S vs Nikon D7000 Detailed Comparison

The D300s is an older camera than D7000.

My opinion D7000 it's a bit better for night photo than D300s, lighter camera if the weight was trouble for you.

I am addicted to heavy Flagship cameras FX , I may not be the best advisor for you. :lol:

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Country Flag

The D300s is an older camera than D7000

But only by a few months. Yes I use small CF cards, I don"t want to sit at my computer for hours going through hundreds of shots and smaller CF cards are getting harder to find but is the 4 mp worth the effort? Doesw the camera offer that much more? Looked at the manual till my eyes crossed and learned nothing.

The D300s is an older camera than D7000.

My opinion D7000 it's a bit better for night photo than D300s, lighter camera if the weight was trouble for you.

I am addicted to heavy Flagship cameras FX , I may not be the best advisor for you. :lol:

The weight may be a factor for carrying around, currently my D300s is on a tripod with a 300mm 5.6 manual focus lens with a 2X multipier and it balances well, will that work with the lighter camera? I forsee a lot of testing which I enjoy!

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The technology from D7000 is newer than D300s because use the processor Expeed 2 and have twice ISO sensibility.

It's the first camera of the D7xxx Series, the good one in my opinion it's D7200.

And use SD cards easy to find.

12 mpx vs 16 mpx maybe in DX it's significant difference in FX, not too much in my own experience.

Tomwlkjr

Tomwlkjr

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Country Flag

The technology from D7000 is newer than D300s because use the processor Expeed 2 and have twice ISO sensibility.

It's the first camera of the D7xxx Series, the good one in my opinion it's D7200.

12 mpx vs 16 mpx maybe in DX it's significant difference in FX, not too much in my own experience.

Sounds like some testing to be done, yipee!

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,015 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You can always attach the tripod to the 300mm lenses if it has the tripod ring for better stabilization.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D7000 is better at protecting the highlights than either D300. It retains more DR @ higher ISO even if it gets noisy far earlier than the 24 Mp or the 20 Mp DX sensors. I, personally, skipped the D7000 as I stayed with 12 Mp until I replaced my D300 and D700 with the D7200 and D750 in 2016 or so.

If you are an Adobe-user, you will find that ACR works much better with the 16 Mp sensor than the 12 Mp DX sensors. If you use other raw converters, the difference is much smaller.

If you  have large hands, the MB-D11 makes the D7000 much better ergonomically as the smaller camera can be less comfortable than a D300. The extra mass and running time with the two batteries don’t hurt when using a long lens either. It still is more compact when you don’t want the larger size and with small lenses, the grip is less necessary.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

What Peter said!

I have, and still use,  a D7000 camera. It's been great. With the MB-D11 grip it handles like a dream. Better even than my D610. Dynamic range is good, as is color accuracy. 

--Ron

samr

samr

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

I like the 7000 series. I have a 7100 and was very fortunate to find a great US 7200 with less than 1000 shutter actuations. I love that camera and totally agree with your assessment for a DX format.