Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A category and entries for the Z lenses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

…in the lens database would be good. I have been thinking about shooting some real-life comparisons between the 35/1.8 S, 40/2 and 50/1.8 S and having them in the database would make this easier.

• Ron likes this

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Pete, this site shows quality of some of the S lenses, but not the latest. Wish it was bit more current but has my lenses. It helped me to decide.

https://www.the-digi...omp=0&APIComp=0

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

How are your FTZ lenses working out, Peter? Have you run into any F mount lenses that just don't work (either literally or quality wise)?

I second your suggestion.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,523 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I haven’t had any problems… Chris has had some, though. There are some Tamrons from before the Dock that don’t play well with the FTZ. I have very few third party F-mount lenses, so I will probably not run into any problems, other than the fact that there are no plans for any adapter with a focus motor. So far, all my pre-Ai lenses work without interference with any parts of the FTZ, so I haven’t had to get a purely mechanical adapter. There are said to be some such ploblems with some early aperture rings…

If I had a Z7, Z8 or Z9, I would probably run into the same problems with optical quality as on a D850 in the corners with some lenses, but the resolution is high enough for the Z6II and Z f sensors on FX and the Z fc on DX. There is some vignetting with some old lenses, but that is easily corrected in post.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,218 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks for the info. It's pretty cool that many pre-AI lenses can be used although I currently have none in my lens stash.

There was some grousing on YouTube about the lack of an AF motor in the FTZ adapter and the need for Nikon to address this shortcoming. However, I very much doubt if Nikon is very concerned about this and I would guess that it's quite far down on their list of 'things to do.' At this point they have a fairly nice, if expensive, selection of Z mount glass so their contention is probably, 'what's the point?'

I currently don't have any glass that isn't Nikon made. But, should I decide to add a new camera, I'm going to need to rely on my old glass for awhile at least. And, speaking of which, we just had to buy new car because one of ours decided to give up the ghost. That's not helping my 'jump to mirrorless' plans at all.

--Ron

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,333 posts
  • Country Flag

…in the lens database would be good. I have been thinking about shooting some real-life comparisons between the 35/1.8 S, 40/2 and 50/1.8 S and having them in the database would make this easier.

I have added the category here:

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses - Nikon Lens Database - Lens Database - NikonForums.com

You should also be able to add lenses directly there.  Please let me know if any changes/additions to the fields are needed.