Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FM frame counter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jxhorton

jxhorton

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

So... I found an FM online to replace one that was stolen in a burglary years ago.  It looked good but had a shutter issue so I took it to a local shop for a CLA.  It took 4 months and cost more than the camera is worth, but it has new seals, looks great and seems to work,.. mostly.  

After I put in a test roll of film I noticed that the frame counter does not reset or advance.  I can't open it up until I go through this roll of film, but when I can, what should I be looking for?

thanks,

-Jim

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If the CLA cost was more than what the camera is worth, you should be looking to take it back and have the techs fix that frame counter. From your description, it looks like part of the gear train may be missing or broken. 

--Ron

jxhorton

jxhorton

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Ron,  That's what I did. I guess we will see what they find and how long it takes.  It should be under the repair warranty and at no cost.  I am hoping for the best,

-Jim

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Good luck!

--Ron

mhall2

mhall2

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

The frame counter is controlled by a pin that sticks out of the body. When the door is opened the pin pops out and resets the counter. Quite often that pin will get stuck in the 'in' position so that when you open the door it does not move outward to reset the counter. The counter runs to the end of the numerical sequence and gets stuck as it can't reset. Usually, you have to remove the top right cover, along with a fair amount of internal stuff to get access to this pin. You can then manually push it outward to get it unstuck. This pin resides in the top door rail in the upper right rear of the camera (right below the frame counter). If you open the door look there and you will see a break in the door foam where this pin resides. See if you can push it in with a paper clip to get movement. If it doesn't push in it is stuck in the body and will need to be serviced. I actually just did this to my F3HP. You need to remove all the buttons and knobs on top of the cover (shutter speed/ASA dial, advance lever) then remove the cover. You may be able to access the pin at this point, but I had to dig further down to get to mine as it was really stuck. I went ahead and cleaned the magnetic shutter release while I was in there as it sits right next to this pin area. It is really a fairly straight forward procedure, but you would need the proper tools and knowledge to do it.