Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D700 does not take pictures with lenses without electronics (AF).

d700 black photos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

myduis

myduis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello.
I have a very strange problem with the D700. It works perfectly only with lenses with full electronics (AF) - both original Nikkors and Sigmas, Tamrons and others with AF. However, it is enough that the connection with electronics disappears and the camera takes black photos. It's a nuisance because I have manual (dedicated) lenses for Nikon and I can't use them, e.g. Samyang 85/1.4.
Three other friends' D700 cameras have no problems.
I think I have the latest firmware 1.04 and 1.03 (A/B).
Factory reset does nothing, changing PASM modes also doesn't change anything. Interestingly, when I turn on LifeView, I have an image, but the picture is black.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

Have you tried to set the Aperture ring on the lens to the highest value (f.i. 22) and the camera mode to M(anual)

(Changing the Aperture should then be done on the camera, not on the lens)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Does the aperture readout in the camera change when you move the aperture ring on the lens?

myduis

myduis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Everything works mechanically correctly, there is no difference if I set it to F22 and control the aperture from the camera or do it manually - the camera does not take pictures, i.e. it does but they are black. The mirror rises, the shutter works, but as if it did not want to register (sensor) anything when the lens does not have AF.

I also have a Samyang 85/1.4 Nikon F lens with contacts (chip) - but that doesn't change anything either. The camera seemed to require AF lenses by force.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
In order to further investigate:
When looking to the front of the camera you have at the right side of the lens mount the button to release a mounted lens. On the left side of the lens mount you have two buttons, the lower is a FN button and the upper is the « Depth of field preview » button - for this test we will use this second button.

If you mount an « AF lens », so the ok ones, press the Depth of field preview button and HOLD IT down. Now change the aperture on the camera. You will (shall) find that what you see gets brighter or darker (depending on the selected aperture)

Now do the same with a « non AF » lens.
Start with setting the on-the-lens aperture to the highest figure (f.i. f22) and then changing the aperture on the camera. If that doesn’t give the same results as previously, start with varying the aperture on the lens.

Can you please report back about the results.

myduis

myduis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Everything works correctly. Whether it's a lens with AF or without AF, as I press the DOF preview and change the aperture in the camera, everything is correct in both cases.

Interestingly, when I turn on LiveView, I have an image on screen on a manual lens, but the already taken photo is still black.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
What if you take a picture in Liveview, while « having an image on screen on a manual lens »?

If it turns out to be black, could you share the EXIF information?

myduis

myduis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

As I wrote above - on LV there is an image visible, but the already taken picture is black.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Could you please share the EXIF information of that picture?

If you don’t have a photo program you, may use sites like

View Exif Data
To get it.

myduis

myduis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

https://we.tl/t-JPDrQ3qs9O

DSC_1632 - tamron AF 28-105 at 85/2.8

DSC_1633 - samyang 85/1.4 at 85/2.8