Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

can't start a new thread in the b&w forum anymore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I discovered I no longer could start a new thread in the b&w forum (only forum I post in)

I can reply to an existing thread.

Any idea on what's going on? and how to fix it  :)

After I use either Preview or Post, I get directed to a status page informing me "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" and We could not find the page you were looking for. 

There's a link "Contact the community administrator" which directs a mail to pentax forums. I know that could be OK but I thought I'd give it a try here first.

In case I can post this, it could be related to the linked images I posted in the b&w forum but that is how I've posted here since my first day.

Also exactly how I post replies to existing thread and that still works: Town and Country Details - 'open to all' thread. - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I had a similar problem with reply posting in blogs. It took some time, and a couple of messages to Adam, but it was eventually fixed. My guess is that some setting or another got inadvertently flipped it by mistake.

--Ron 

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I discovered I no longer could start a new thread in the b&w forum (only forum I post in)
I can reply to an existing thread.
Any idea on what's going on? and how to fix it  :)

After I use either Preview or Post, I get directed to a status page informing me "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" and We could not find the page you were looking for. 

There's a link "Contact the community administrator" which directs a mail to pentax forums. I know that could be OK but I thought I'd give it a try here first.

In case I can post this, it could be related to the linked images I posted in the b&w forum but that is how I've posted here since my first day.
Also exactly how I post replies to existing thread and that still works: Town and Country Details - 'open to all' thread. - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

Are you copy-and-pasting content or HTML code from another page or site by any chance?  If so, try to cycle the button in the upper-left corner of the editor and it should remove any stray formatting for you.  Another rock-solid method is to paste into notepad first before pasting here, which would also strip the HTML.

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,391 posts
  • Country Flag

Are you copy-and-pasting content or HTML code from another page or site by any chance?  If so, try to cycle the button in the upper-left corner of the editor and it should remove any stray formatting for you.  Another rock-solid method is to paste into notepad first before pasting here, which would also strip the HTML.

Yes, I have always prepared and copied my posts.

Yesterday I followed your suggestions with the delete formatting button - still the same - and with copy in and from Texteditor which I think is the closest to notepad on a mac.

That didn't work because I didn't get the links into my post here.

Then I simply started from scratch. That looked as if it would work but suddenly everything was blocked. Nothing happened. I switched back to this page to reply but the "Quote" kept working with no result.
So, I decided to give it another try today but nikonforums still didn't respond and pentaxforums didn't either.
I tried accessing with a different browser - no reaction.

Then I tried with an In Private session and there I got a message that the server had blocked my IP  :huh:  I guess I was trying too hard yesterday.

I got an option to Unblock with Captcha which finally succeeded.
So, I'm back on the site now and on pentaxforums as well  :)

I'll wait a few days before I try again  :rolleyes:

I'll edit the post from scratch again because it really looks as if something with my Paste doesn't sit well with the forum software anymore.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Yes, I have always prepared and copied my posts.

Yesterday I followed your suggestions with the delete formatting button - still the same - and with copy in and from Texteditor which I think is the closest to notepad on a mac.

That didn't work because I didn't get the links into my post here.

Then I simply started from scratch. That looked as if it would work but suddenly everything was blocked. Nothing happened. I switched back to this page to reply but the "Quote" kept working with no result.
So, I decided to give it another try today but nikonforums still didn't respond and pentaxforums didn't either.
I tried accessing with a different browser - no reaction.

Then I tried with an In Private session and there I got a message that the server had blocked my IP  :huh:  I guess I was trying too hard yesterday.

I got an option to Unblock with Captcha which finally succeeded.
So, I'm back on the site now and on pentaxforums as well  :)

I'll wait a few days before I try again  :rolleyes:

I'll edit the post from scratch again because it really looks as if something with my Paste doesn't sit well with the forum software anymore.

I experienced some strange issues last month.

I could not enter the Nikon or Pentax forum sites.

They were shown as 'not available' or 'unable to connect'.

This continued for a few days, until I tried an 'incognito' session in my browser.

This gained me access.

I've no idea why this happened, but after that I could log in normally, not using the 'incognito' function.

No other web sites were affected during the few days I couldn't contact the site!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

This page has tips on how to avoid getting blocked: Help: 404 error messages followed by inability to access PF - PentaxForums.com

I can take a look at the specific piece of content being blocked, but this must be done within 24 hours of the post submission.  Please try again tomorrow (one time only) and I will see what we can do to prevent the issue.

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,391 posts
  • Country Flag

This page has tips on how to avoid getting blocked: Help: 404 error messages followed by inability to access PF - PentaxForums.com

I can take a look at the specific piece of content being blocked, but this must be done within 24 hours of the post submission.  Please try again tomorrow (one time only) and I will see what we can do to prevent the issue.

I started "from fresh" again, Adam. I used the forum editor to insert images with a link to smugmug.

But I got the same error.

Sorry, we couldn't fint that!

We could not find the page you were looking for.

in case it is of interest, this is the address of the page with the error: Error - NikonForums.com

In my first reply here, I also added an example of one of the links to smugmug and that reply failed to post: it kept the status "Saving post" so, I cancelled and returned to this thread and posted a reply without the link and this got posted.
I'll add the example of the link in a second reply, as text.

So, one of the links: "https://photos.smugm...xO-Edit-X3.jpg"

Eh, the forum software merged the second reply into the first one

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, that's perfect timing!  Can you try now and see if everything goes through?

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,391 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, that's perfect timing!  Can you try now and see if everything goes through?

Thank you very much, Adam!

Now it worked:  Countryside around Sint-Lievens-Esse - Black and White - NikonForums.com

Is there something I need to do to avoid this from happening again?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you very much, Adam!

Now it worked:  Countryside around Sint-Lievens-Esse - Black and White - NikonForums.com

Is there something I need to do to avoid this from happening again?

Excellent!  No, as long as there is no stray HTML in your post, there's nothing you need to do.