Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Failure of DX 18 - 55 lens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Russell Cumming

Russell Cumming

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello. Just joined the forum. Thanks Adam for the warm welcome.

I have a D3500. The DX 18 - 55 lens is part of the original kit, along with a DX 70 - 300 lens. The latter lens works normally. The first one has given up the ghost in a series of steps.

Firstly the focus started to get unreliable. Then apparently the electronic connection to the camera started to fail and I had to keep taking it off and putting it back on to get it to work. It emanated a series of rapid clicks for 2 or 3 seconds and was then totally unresponsive. Then the zoom capacity failed and it would only work on maximum wide-angle. Then it failed completely. Now it takes photos when on AE-L only... with the AE-L / AF-L button held down. It takes photos in the full range of zoom. But the focus doesn't work at all. Everything is wildly out of focus.

It seemed to be a lens hardware issue, given that the other lens and the camera itself are fine. But then it started to work again in AE-L mode. So now I am wondering if it is an easily solvable software issue. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Only possible simple fix I can think of Russell, is lens connections not mating correctly. Give them a clean with something like IPA.
Internally, the electronics & mechanics are fairly complex.
It has to be said though, they are fairly cheap on the second hand market is there's no simple fix.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,113 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

First actualize the firmware to Ver.2.018 2020/01/16

Nikon | Download center | D3500

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
You mention that
« It emanated a series of rapid clicks for 2 or 3 seconds and was then totally unresponsive. »
Having such noise is usually no good sign, but rather points to a *mechanical* problem with the lens (eventually a small guide in the lens broken or loosened, which would also fit some of the other symptoms described) - repairing it is possible, but compared to the cost of new (or used) lens, not worth.