Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vibration Reduction problems with Z 9 and FX lenses.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

I have a 200-500mm and a 70-200mm that I use with my Z 7. I use an FTZ adapter. Both lenses work fine when the VR switch on the lens is turned on.

I just bought a Z 9 and tried these two lenses with the VR switch turned on and had horrible results. The AF is set to Single Point. When the VR switch is turned on, the VR stabilization mode immediately engages. When the shutter is depressed the focus point jumps to the left, and the result is a blurry shot.

The focus seems to work (no jumping focus point) when the lens VR is turned off. Does the VR on F lenses not work properly with the Z 9, or am I doing something wrong? The Z 7 worked the same as my D850.

This hand held shot was taken with the  200-500mm and NO VR.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-9003-0-31059400-1678558173_thumb.jp

Tony

Tony
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I had a similar problem when using the AF Nikkor 55~200mm, VR, ED, SWM, DX lens on my Nikon D200.  When depressing the shutter release button half-way, it engaged the VR system, which would jump upwards every time, however fortunately, there were no adverse effects on Image Quality.  I tried several

other Nikkor lenses with VR and there were no issues at all.  So, just a bad copy with no adverse side effects.  A very good lens overall.

Thanks for reading.  P.S., I should mention that I turned the VR feature off and no jumping occurred.  I was suspect that the Auto-Focus feature was the culprit, but no dice there.  

Tonytee  :)

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag

As it turned out, the jumping focus point didn't actually affect the focus of the image. I had another issue that caused the focus to be soft. Actually the image is taken before the jumping occurs. I was told that the jumping is the focus point re-centering itself.

Tony

Tony
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

As it turned out, the jumping focus point didn't actually affect the focus of the image. I had another issue that caused the focus to be soft. Actually the image is taken before the jumping occurs. I was told that the jumping is the focus point re-centering itself.

Very interesting.  That is one perspective I had not heard of or experienced.  It is possible for any gear to become damaged or knocked off kilter, given the 

endless possibilities with shipping, handling and even putting up with abuse to some degree.  The lens that I referenced earlier possessed an Auto-Focus System that was very accurate and very reliable, meaning consistent in its performance.  Not atypical of Nikon gear.

One of those things that make you go:  "Hhmmmm."  :)

Tony  

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag

I had heard that the focus box shifting with F lenses was the Lens Elements re-aligning themselves, after the shutter was pressed.

Well, after several test shots, I found that the focus box itself is NOT shifting, the entire EVF image is shifting... and it seems to happen less with each shot taken - more random. There's more shifting at the start of shooting, and less (to no shifting) the more times the shutter is pressed. This happens when the VR is set to Normal or Action. The jumping distance varies as well. This doesn't happen with my Z 24-70 f2.8 lens. I have to assume that the problem is some sort of VR incompatibility between the Z 9 and F lenses.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

A side note: When users of DJI products pose thoughtful questions on a poipular forum, a DJI rep will attempt to address the problem, without having to go through a formal "Service Ticket" and all that. Too bad NIKON doesn't respond the same way. Would save a lot of Q&A time and frustration.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This forum is an enthusiast group and not affiliated with Nikon. There are no reps monitoring the hundreds of user groups around the web.

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

not sure if any brought this up or said this. sometimes you need do lens calibration. also some lens that are F mount need firmware update for mirrorless body's check to see have all proper firmware updates. i  am have all most same issue you have with my sigma c 150-600mm at long ends if zoom in does really show subject in good focus. they seem to be around 75% to 85% not in focus.