Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using a ND filter and issue with aperture priority. D 850

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Brian B

Brian B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSW Colorado

Site Supporter

I put on a neutral density filter. to shoot a shot with moving water. I always shoot in A priority with the ISO set at base 64. But the camera indicated "auto" ISO. When I changed the ISO back to 64 it also changed (opened up) the aperture. How can I set the aperture and ISO to where I want it and let the shutter speed fall where it may?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
To me the (A)perture priority mode sounds correct for what you try to do.

I tried to simulate what you describe on my D850 and it acts as expected. (FW: C1.10 / LD 2.017)

One thing to realize is that the shutter speed max length is 30’’ and that will not adapt beyond even if the picture is overly underexposed (as may be with the ND filter), until YOU open up the Aperture or change ISO

As with flowing water you might want some DOF, especially if you see the static elements (border, stones in the water), I would start with
1/ setting the camera to A (as you did)
2/ set an Aperture opening for the wished DoF
3/ start increasing the ISO setting until the moment I see the light meter showing a value (bars starting to appear to the left)

Alternately, if you want to absolutely have the ISO 64 setting along your chosen aperture, I guess that you have to go to (M)anual and set the exposure to BULB. Then it will be up to you to experiment for how long to expose your picture.

However having water flows smoothened with long exposure time would normally not require exposure times above 30’’. Therefore my option would be to go for the (A)-mode, allowing for a higher ISO.