Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deleting photos with Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Zygmo

Zygmo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Is there any reason one should reformat a card in the camera after deleting all the pictures from the card while still in the camera with Windows Explorer?

Thanks.

Dean

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

If you mean selecting the 'format card' command 'in camera' - yes.

It's the only way to be sure the camera will read the card.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You need to realize that the file handler in the camera is quite rudimentary and works much better if it gets a new file allocation table instead of one that has had files in it that are now gone and new files are written, sometimes in the exact clusters that were used previously, sometimes not.

Bit rot on a memory card is much more often a corrupt allocation table rather than lost storage bits.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

Is there any reason one should reformat a card in the camera after deleting all the pictures from the card while still in the camera with Windows Explorer?
Thanks.
Dean

Yes, there is.

Indeed what happens when you do a format is nothing different from running a computer program

The purpose of a format operation is to free and organise the available space.

Tho there are some standards, executing the Windows format command (no matter if the memory card is in a cardreader or in the camera) may result in a different organisation of the space, or freeing the register of files, than executing the format from the cameras menu (as it is a different computer program, tho named the same). As the camera has only been designed and tested to work with a specific organisation of the available space, having formatted the card with a different (fi Windows) program, may therefore result in the camera not being able to save on the card, it may also result in other unforeseen behaviours, making you loose your pictures.

The above is quite simplified, but hopefully helps to understand the reason, why it is better to format the memory card in-camera using the format from the camera’s menu

Zygmo

Zygmo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, I understand all about formatting in computers.

Yes, there is.

Indeed what happens when you do a format is nothing different from running a computer program

The purpose of a format operation is to free and organise the available space.

Tho there are some standards, executing the Windows format command (no matter if the memory card is in a cardreader or in the camera) may result in a different organisation of the space, or freeing the register of files, than executing the format from the cameras menu (as it is a different computer program, tho named the same). As the camera has only been designed and tested to work with a specific organisation of the available space, having formatted the card with a different (fi Windows) program, may therefore result in the camera not being able to save on the card, it may also result in other unforeseen behaviours, making you loose your pictures.

The above is quite simplified, but hopefully helps to understand the reason, why it is better to format the memory card in-camera using the format from the camera’s menu

Yes, I understand all about the format command in Windows. I just didn't know for sure if it would be recommended to reformat the card in-camera after using Windows to delete pictures from the card while it is in the camera. In other words, I often open the card  (still in the camera) with a USB cable in Windows, transfer the images to an SSD, and then go ahead and delete the pictures off the in-camera card while I am there. Just simplifies everything. Then I assume it would be a good idea to format the card in-camera using the Nikon command before the next night of imaging. I only take astro images through telescopes with this camera, so it is nearly always connected to a computer when it is in use. Hence, using computers to move from, and then deleting the images from the card. Not a good idea to remove those tiny cards on cold dark nights to place in a card reader.  :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I never delete the files on a card, I just format the card using the formatter in the camera as soon as I have verified the transfer and that I have a backup of the newly ingested files.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
If you format the card (with the in-camera format option ;) ) as a final operation, then there is no need to delete the pictures first.

If you want to occasionally delete some pictures/files on the card (from the camera or Windows), that should typically not harm.

However, good to know, if you delete the pictures/files with *Windows, then you will move them to a bin on the card* . Therefore this operation will remove the pictures from being listed, yet the (disk/card)space will not be freed, unless you empty the Windows bin (which will clear bins on all media connected)

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, there are a few reasons why it's a good practice to reformat a memory card in the camera after deleting all pictures from the card using Windows Explorer:

1. Formatting the memory card in-camera ensures that the file system and directory structure on the card are properly set up to work with your camera. This can help to prevent errors and compatibility issues that may occur if you use a file system that's not optimized for your camera.

2. Formatting the card in-camera can also help to prevent data corruption or other issues that can occur if the file system on the card becomes fragmented or otherwise damaged.

3. Formatting the card in-camera can also help to improve the overall performance and speed of the card when it's being used with your camera.

4. Some cameras may require that the card be formatted in-camera before it can be used, so reformatting the card can help to ensure that it's properly set up and ready to use.

In summary, while it's possible to delete all pictures from a memory card using Windows Explorer, it's generally a good idea to reformat the card in-camera to ensure that it's properly set up and optimized for use with your camera. Although there are some recovery programs like Stellar or Disk Drill, which can recover the photos from any formatted device.