Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is this right? Focus issues using teleconverter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Joebird

Joebird

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have D500's.   I mostly photograph birds as a personal record for ID history.   I use the 200 - 500 lens but wanted something more to reach out for long shots for ID purposes so I got the 1.2 teleconverter (Everything I own is Nikon).   I am struggling getting a good image due to focus.   I am shooting from the truck window on a rice bag with the engine off.   First question - why can I not get a quality photo in sharp focus?   Second - With this lens/converter combo should I not be able to edit for a closer image of the target?   This is so frustrating when I was doing what I thought I knew how to do.   I have been doing bird photography for ten years and am trying to find a way to get closer with the lens.    Thanks.  

Joebird

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Which teleconverter is it? 1.2 doesn’t make sense.

What do you mean by ”edit for a closer image of the target”?

What shutter speed do you end up with?

Can you show us a sample photo? 

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands
Have a look here to check compatibility of your lens and teleconverter

AF-S Teleconverter Compatibility

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,204 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

Teleconverters for birds photos not good business at all, you need speed focusing and good light levels.

Total nonsense spend a lot of money in expensive lens with f2.8 and use one TC x2 and sacrifice 2 points of light to f5.6 in addiction limit the speed of the AF or directly will not work depend on the compatibility. :wacko:

Birds or anything is moving animals, vehicles etc...AF is required and speed focusing too, definitely complicated, and you lose quality enough and increase the difficulty to take a good photo for sure.

I used TC x2 for astronomy photos that the AF not needed and f8 is good enough for this kind of photos only time that was a good idea to use it in my opinion.

I think that the teleconverter good use is really very limited, because of more Contra than Pros.

Joe, conclusion frustrating using the TC is correct, stop to use it. ^_^

Lupe