Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor Z 24-140 S vs Nikkor Z DX 18-140 for Z50 traveler?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Drwho099

Drwho099
  • Country Flag
Looking for help choosing between these two lenses for use as a single travel lens for my Z50.
I've had the camera for ~1yr and have waited for an optimal zoom lens as a single solution and now 
several seem available. I'm leaning towards the DX 18-140 based on assuming it would be a better "match" to the DX Z50 (i.e. both "DXes").

Some background:
- Have an older (pre-Z) AF-S DX 18-200 zoom w/adapter for longer zoom ranges when I care about that (i.e. not traveling), but I 
  am looking for a smaller/more convenient travel solution going forwards
- No plans to move to a FX camera in the future
- Cost difference is a secondary consideration (although I have some concerns the FX lens choice might be "wasteful")

I see there's also a NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 available; perhaps I should add that to my short list?

Lastly, first post... let me know if this is better placed in the zoom lens thread... since its anchored on the Z50 I've started here.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-140 is a much more versatile travel lens on a Z50 as the difference between 75 and 60˚ diagonal angle of view at the wide end is enough to make you miss shots with the 24-120 as you simply can’t take the extra steps backwards to compensate. The difference in mass doesn’t seem like much on paper, but 315 vs 630 g makes a LOT of difference in how the light Z50 feels in your hand .

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands
I bought a Z50 with the 16-50 DX lens for overseas travel, I added the 18-140 shortly afterwards, I can't recommend it enough, nice and light, but the images with it are very sharp.

Drwho099

Drwho099
  • Country Flag

Good points, confirms I'm leaning the right way with the 18-140 choice.  Thanks!

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

both are great lens to start with. then when time comes to upgrade or get pro glass you know what you will need or want to have