Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

some said to fix wise 512 issue was format on computer then Z9

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

not sure that good idea or safe. do not want to lose cards if did that way. what your take on that. 

Ron

Ron
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Always follow your camera manufacture's approved procedures. In most cases, I think that means formatting your memory cards in camera. I've never heard of formatting a card in the computer and then formatting it again in camera. 

If the card remains unreadable after being formatting in camera, I would suspect a bad card, and try another one. If that one also fails, I would then suspect the camera... provided the memory card brand you're using is on Nikon's list of approved cards.

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_
  • Country Flag
My take:

formatting a disk/card adapts it to the specifications of the system on which formatting is done, unless it does a « quick format ».

Therefore, in general, this is good and should not harm the card.
As users will want to read the « Nikon formatted » card in their computer (Windows, OSX, Linux) I suppose the format is ExFAT.

The only point to validate when formatting on the computer is therefore to use the good format. Worst case you choose the wrong format and need to reformat with a valid one.

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

for some reason the computer thinks card a Z6 and not Z9 and camera will not see cards unless i put into Z6 first. so off to buy new memory cards and use only one Z9 but first get new card reader to see if that will fix it.