Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

image viewer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

newry

newry

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Im looking an image viewer for windows 11 that will open raw files quickly, what are you all using? do Nikon have one without editing capibilities?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unfortunately, Nikon have pulled the free View NX app. The viewer is now baked into the NX Studio app.

I use Photo Mechanic for viewing, selecting, culling and DAM. It is said to be as fast on Windows boxen as it is on the Mac platform these days. I don’t know if that is correct as I haven’t owned a Windows machine since the XP days…

If you have the Adobe photography plan, Bridge works well to view raw files without having to import them into Lightroom.

A useful free viewer is Irfanview. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Windows has a built in image viewer. I don't use Windows 11 and, unfortunately, I don't seem to have any RAW files on the Windows 10 laptop I'm using at the moment. However, Nikon does have a Windows codec for Windows that should allow you to view Nikon RAW files natively.

If you can't currently use Windows Image Viewer to view Nikon RAW files, my suggestion would be to download and install Nikon's RAW codec and try again.

I would avoid installing Irfanview even though it's a good image viewer. During install it will change all of your image file associations to irfanview. Changing them back to their native associations can be a chore.

--Ron 

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Apart form Window's Image viewer app, there are several image viewers for Windows 11 that can quickly open raw files. Here are a few options:

1. FastStone Image Viewer - This is a free image viewer that can quickly open and display raw files from a variety of camera manufacturers. It also includes a range of editing tools and can perform batch conversions.

2. XnView - This is another free image viewer that supports a wide range of file formats, including raw files. It also includes basic editing tools and can perform batch conversions.

3. IrfanView - This is a fast and lightweight image viewer that supports a range of file formats, including raw files. It also includes basic editing tools and can perform batch conversions.

Some camera manufacturers also offer their own raw file viewers or converters, such as Canon's Digital Photo Professional.