Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Z9 for Sports?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

DevPreach

DevPreach
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I'm finally going to make the jump into Mirrorless but I'm not going to drop my D5 just yet.    How does the Z9 hold up in the sports arena?    I do a lot of high school football, softball, basketball, and baseball along with college level basketball and baseball and Pro baseball(Double A).    Is there anything that I should look out for?    What are some recommended settings?

Matt

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

go get Z9 for sports and i use it all time. do not get Z8 for sports since SD card will slow down camera. also having 2 CFexpress card slots make great too. so if want to do video you can. also with fact 1tb cards now around $400 dollars now and 2tb around $800 for good one that great deal. i give tip if you shoot losses compressed you be at 56mb per file. a 5min video at 8K will be 8gb. also when i was shoot high efficacy files on 2 512 CFexpress cards i would get about 12,500 per jpg and raw file. now i get 5500 photo on losses compressed,. also having two CFexpress cards you never have slowdown in taking action shots. if get Z8 SD card will slow down camera. but best Advice i can give you if not sure. go out and rent Z9 and Z8 see which will fit your needs before you buy. also mirrorless not for all too. so i rather have rent or test out first before you buy a mirrorless. you find it weird when not having shutter. also having second delay help pick time want to use back button focus to get shot right. if you know someone in your area see if they let you try Z mirrorless body's out. if where near me came to one games i go to shot at i let try camera out or could loan my Z6 to try out too. just to see if you like mirrorless and get feel of it. one other thing. i am not weight lifter or can lift heavy stuff for long time. i like to hand hold more then tripod and monopod.. i find if use my Z9 and use sigma C 150-600mm little to light in the hands and can not keep steady if windy.   when i hold Z9 gen 2 FTZ sigma sport 120-300mm its not heavy to me. i can hand hold it. when i walk around can hold it with 2 fingers too. if put on nikon gen 1 70-200mm it would feel to light to me. also you have not shutter count of death too. since you have no shutter. you only have shield that comes up to protect the sensor if set up that way. i rather see people rent or test before they by mirrorless. also for cost of Z8 and Z9 too. recall this Z8 can only use only battery that nikon made only. also you need to get new battery's for Z9 too. since new will be able to use new charger and charge in body if want too. 

DevPreach go check out my flicker account i post on this board. you see photo i taken on Z9 for softball and ren fair you also see my other work with Z6 and gen 1 and sigma sport 120-300mm and sigma c 150-600mm and gen 1 nikon 70-200mm also the 17-28 and 28-75mm too. i have cheaper Z mount trinity lenses. i need to get 70-180 or get 70-200mm Z mount next then all my lenses are done. no more gear unless  get Z8 or upgrade F mount to Z. but will not replace sigma sport 120-300mm.