Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advise on wide angle lens to pair with a D850

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RosaGlass

RosaGlass

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello everyone,
I would like recomendations on a wide angle lens. I am considering to buy a Nikkor 14-24 2.8 G, but I would like to hear what other lenses I should consider also.
Thank you.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That would depend on under what conditions you will use it. That bulbous front element will find any stray light available and give you lots of unexpected results until you really get to know the lens. The Tamron 15-30/2.8 G2 is much easier to use. It has a slight bit more distorsion than the Nikkor, but unless you shoot mostly architecture with your UWA zoom, it is a better choice.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Here is an illustration of how well it works to find stray light...

Single lens in July, take 2 - Page 6 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

The link should take you to post #104 in the thread.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
As Peter mentioned all depends on why you want to use the wide angle, as well as on what other lenses you already have.

Having a D850 I have used it with the Tamron 15-30/G2, the Nikon 8-15 (Fisheye to UWA) or some Sigma Art (fi 20/1.4) lenses.

All worked fine. Distortion is removed fi in DXO Photolab postprocessing.

RosaGlass

RosaGlass

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Thank you for the advise. I want to use it for landscape photography.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Thank you for the advise. I want to use it for landscape photography.

I always appreciate Photography Life reviews. Here's their take on wideangle zooms.

Best Wide Angle Lenses for Nikon, Ranked (2021)

The Nikon afs18-35 G budget wide angle zoom w/ excellent optics that gets a lot rave personal reviews.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've hesitated to get involved in this discussion because, well... I don't own a Nikon D850 (though I've long pined for one). I do, however, own a Nikkor AF-S 18-35G as well as another lens mentioned in the article that Lightcapture linked to above.

The Nikkor AF-S 18-35G mentioned above is a beautiful lens that has given me great service. In short, I love it. However, I'm using it on a D610 with a much smaller, much older sensor. If I were to mount it on a D850 I would totally expect it to fall over on it's face. The other lens I own that's mentioned in the article is the Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8, which I believe would totally work with your D850 but is not nearly wide enough to even be included and a UWA discussion. However, I believe you would probably find it to be an excellent landscape lens.

Your D850 has a beautiful, high resolution sensor... And, that's the trap that you fall into when you purchase a high resolution camera like the D850. The trap, of course, being that any flaws in your lenses will be magnified by that lovely sensor. You really have to understand the capabilities of both your camera and any lenses you plan to mount, and plan accordingly. It's certainly possible that you may be perfectly happy with any of the lenses mentioned (including my trusty 18-35). It all depends on what you're photographing, and how willing your are to accept the results you get. High quality wide angle lenses, particularly zooms, are exorbitantly expensive, and ironically, don't always deliver image quality commensurate with their cost.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The 14-24 is a nice lens when you know it well. It was the best UWA on the market for quite a few years.

I used it on several different bodies, both DX and FX in my One  week, one camera, one lens project. There is a list in this post:

wide angle lens purchase - Nikon Lens Discussion - NikonForums.com

The link should take you to the last post in that old thread.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

best info can give and you should do every time wanting new gear. go to local camera store test out lenses or other gear. or use one best lens rental place to test out the lens or lenses first. in till you get lens in your hand you will not know if will fit your needs or lens you want. this will save you money before you buy the lens or camera or other gear. good way to save money instead buying something do not like. 

Brian B

Brian B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSW Colorado

Site Supporter

I looked at it recently. And from reviews it has excellent IQ. BUT, the deal breaker for me it does not except screw in filters. The work around is clumsy Lee type attachments. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I looked at it recently. And from reviews it has excellent IQ. BUT, the deal breaker for me it does not except screw in filters. The work around is clumsy Lee type attachments. 

Just out of curiosity, what filters would you use with an ultrawide that aren’t as clumsy as the Lee 150 mm setup?

Polarizers aren’t usable at 24 mm or wider because the lens takes in too much sky with polarisation at different angles. Screwing in a 112 mm or larger filter is a clumsy operation compared to just sliding in a filter in a holder that is already mounted on the lens. Graduated ND filters are not screw-in anyway.

Brian B

Brian B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSW Colorado

Site Supporter

Another choice I would look at is the 24mm 1.8G It has outstanding IQ. The Sigma mention in post #4 is a good alternative.

Brian B

Brian B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSW Colorado

Site Supporter

Another choice I would look at is the 24mm 1.8G It has outstanding IQ. The Sigma mention in post #4 is a good alternative.

X2

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera, which means that it can use both DX and FX format lenses. Here are a few options to consider:

• Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
  • Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM Art
  • Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2:
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR

Ultimately, the best wide-angle lens for your Nikon D850 will depend on your specific shooting needs and budget. It's always a good idea to read reviews and try out different lenses before making a purchase.