Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New FILM Pentaxes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jim_TX

Jim_TX

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGalveston, TX

Site Supporter

I'm seeing (reading, actually) rumors in the non-photographic world, that Pentax is gearing up to manufacture and release a new 35mm FILM SLR.

This, due to a renewed interest in the properties and potential permanency of archival prints, and the like.

Anyone else have this on their photographic seismograph?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This machine-translated press release looks interesting.

Press release (machine-translated):

Launched the "Film Camera Project" under the PENTAX brand
Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. (President and CEO: Noboru Akabane) is pleased to announce the launch of the "Film Camera Project" to consider the development of a new film camera under the PENTAX brand. In recent years, by providing film cameras that are becoming popular mainly among young people, as a new product that inherits the technology that Ricoh Imaging / PENTAX has cultivated over many years, we will provide cameras and photos to film camera fans in Japan and overseas. We aim to expand new options to enjoy true. For those who have been enjoying film for a long time, and for the new generation who want to get a new film from now on, I would like to deliver "peace of mind" including after-sales service along with the development of new products.

Specific initiatives of the film camera project

Consideration of the development of a new model of film cameras
We will start considering the development of film cameras under the PENTAX brand. Taking advantage of the film camera development know-how cultivated by Ricoh Imaging/PENTAX, we will consider whether veteran engineers and young generation engineers can work together to inherit the technology and add a new perspective. .
Ingenuity of co-creation with camera fans
Now that digital cameras have become the mainstream, it is not easy to procure the materials necessary for the development of film cameras, and it is not only the thoughts of one manufacturer. And above all, the voices of fans who like film cameras and photographers and creators are important. I would like to devise ways to reflect it in product production by utilizing communication through various online and offline events and SNS. On the other hand, we will also consider ways to create it with such fans so that we can tell you about our progress worldwide.
Background of the project start - Why is it a film camera now?

The growing popularity of film cameras among new generation users
Film popularity is increasing mainly among young people. If you search for "film camera" on the Internet, you can see many creators, celebrities, and idols holding film cameras in their hands. I also hear the voices of young people who are enjoying developing the film and receiving it directly with data instead of printing and uploading it to SNS.
When we conducted our own web survey (about 3,000 people in Japan), we also received an answer that about 20% of the camera owners own film cameras. (*Excluding film and instant cameras with lenses)
On the other hand, there are few manufacturers that manufacture and sell new film cameras, and some people are worried about after-sales service for products distributed in the second-hand market. Ricoh Imaging is responsible for the manufacture and sales of film cameras and after-sales service, so that fans can enjoy the world of film cameras with peace of mind.
"It takes a lot of time" in search of fun
The evolution of modern devices is remarkable, and with the rise of smartphones in the photography culture, it has become possible to easily take beautiful photos anywhere. However, I think that there is a pleasure of daring to spend time and effort in that convenient world. The time and effort is a part that shows the personality, creativity, and the taste of people by human hands, as if you read it. Based on the idea that labor leads to the pursuit of things that only people can do, I think that PENTAX can provide "enjoy of effort in cameras".
"Message from President Noboru Akabane"

Ricoh Imaging declared that it would be "reborn" in January 2022. As a new initiative in Japan, we will listen to the voices of fans more straight, such as strengthening communication in digital and online, exhibiting in crowdfunding, and opening a PENTAX clubhouse. We have continued to do "challenge" that is not bound by conventional common sense, such as making and selling products that are close to that feeling. In addition, we have started offering products realized through "workshop-like" manufacturing, such as developing limited-ed special models around the world.

As a new "challenge", in order to provide a different enjoyment from digital, we will declare a new challenge for film camera development under the PENTAX brand. This declaration is not a declaration that we promise to launch a new film camera product, but it is because we believe that film camera fans will definitely be there as long as people are loyal to the natural air and light. I recognize how difficult it is to develop a film camera that has finished once. We are just at the start line of consideration.

I would like to listen to the voices of fans through various events and digital communication (SNS, etc.) and update the development status as much as possible. With your support, support, and criticism from time to time, if you can challenge a new film camera project in the spirit of co-creation, there is nothing more happy.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm seeing (reading, actually) rumors in the non-photographic world, that Pentax is gearing up to manufacture and release a new 35mm FILM SLR.

This, due to a renewed interest in the properties and potential permanency of archival prints, and the like.

Anyone else have this on their photographic seismograph?

You might want to check out our sister forum Pentax Forums. I understand there's an active thread or two over there about this very topic.

--Ron