Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor Z 100-400mm or Nikkor Z 400mm?

nikkor z 100-400mm nikkor z 400mm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Potatoman

Potatoman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have never used a prime lens before, and I'm not sure of the impact a prime has other than not being a telephoto lens. 
What would be the Pros and Cons of  a prime versus a telephoto lens? What are the specific limitations/advantages of one of these lenses over the other?

I will be capturing shots of birds, wildlife, distant landscape, etc., on my Z 7II.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
I don’t know the exact details of the two lenses that you mention, but will give some information on a general level:

- any of todays camera objectives/lenses, zoom or primary, is build with a set of glasses with different shapes, specifications and coatings in it, so the resulting picture is as good as possible, as these glases correct for a number of effects that the light is subject to while passing the lens.

- a zoom lens needs to move this set of glasses inside the lenstube, to allow for changing the focal length (=zooming)

- while a primary lens will, by design, be optimised for a specific focal length, a zoom lens needs to work at both ends of the focal lengths - this requires some compromises to be done in its design.

- the aperture is not a defined size of opening, but it is a ratio of the opening related to the focal length. Therefore on zoom lens you will very often find a variable max aperture.

- a primary lens has (by definition) a single focal length. Therefore you need to « zoom » by moving closer or further away from your subject (you can also zoom in by cropping the picture in poist processing, but you can’t zoom out other than by moving)

I hope this gives you some pros and cons between a zoom and a primary lens.

Obviously there are (not looking into the details of the two lenses that you mention) different qualities, both of primary and zoom lenses, on the market. Typically the more expensive ones produce the better quality, as they can use better glasses.

At the end of the day, all depends on what you want to use your pictures for (show on social media, do a dedicated website, do a small print, do a large print, sell, etc.) to decide whether the extra quality will bring relevant added value to your end result, or whether you prefer the flexibility of a zoom lens.

(Me, for my part, I have a mix of zoom and primary lenses. If I go for a walk I will rather use a zoom lens for the flexibility it offers, while for other occasions I may opt for a primary lens)

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

got options yes 100-400mm great lens for bird watching. so is 150-600mm or nikon 200-500mm lens. but you have to high of F/stop for some place do to lighting issue. the other option cheap one used gen 1 or 2 nikon 70-200mm cheap way or if have cash get Z mount 70-200mm if can find used. or if have money to blow sigma 120-300mm will help. all depends where you be at for range of lens and how low of F/stop you need. i have sigma 120-30mm for sports wild life if to dark or not enough light. i also own 150-600mm for range and cheaper option to 200-500mm lens. if not sure what you need go out and rent the lenses to see what will fit your needs. i shoot so much sports in good and bad lighting or hardly i knew what lenses i would need for other types of photography.