Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A thought experiment

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you were restricted to use only two lenses and one body, what would your choices be?

i would go with a Z6II and currently, my AF-S 14-24/2.8 on an FTZ and the Z 70-200/2.8 S.

I would like to update my 14-24 to the Z 14-24/2.8 S, but it is difficult to explain why to an accountant. The slightly lower quality of the output from the AF-S doesn’t lose me any customers as I know how to shoot around its limitations…

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I don't have a huge selection to chose from, but:

D800E

Sigma 17-35

Nikon AFs 28-300

However, if going on holiday & traveling light:

D3300

AFS Dx 10-20

AFs Dx 18-300

So, one question - two answers!

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
The answer varies:

a) if I would start without having a camera yet, I might look into the FX mirrorless. Starting from the FX sensor - and for an all purpose use - I might go with a 14-24/2.8 and a 24-120/4

B) if I use my existing equipment and would have to reduce to one camera and two lenses for a travel, it will depend on the main expected subjects:

b1) general purpose
D850 with 24-120/4 and 8-15/3.5-4.5
Considering that the number of MP on the D850 allows for some « zoom by cropping » in post processing

b2) animal or sport
D500 with 70-200/2.8 and Tamron G2 150-600/5-6.3

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If I were starting from scratch, (and money were no object) it would depend. I presume we're restricted to Nikon cameras and lenses. If that's the case, I suppose I would choose a Z9 (because, hey! Why not?) and the bottom and top thirds of the Z Trinity. I would hate to give up all that space between 24mm and 70mm, but I do like wide angle lenses and the 70/200 is pretty much a no brainer.

If I'm restricted to using my own equipment, modest tho it may be, I'd pick my D610 along with my AFS 18-35 and AFS 70-300. Once again eschewing the middle ground.

Now, if we really want to delve into a thought experiment, let's restrict lens choice to primes only! In that case, I'd be torn between picking my 35mm f/1.8FX and 20mm f/1.8. The other lens would most likely be my 85mm f/1.8. The D610 would still be my camera, although it's admittedly in dire need of an upgrade. If we're doing macro, one of my lenses would be my trusty AF60mm f/2.8D because, well... it just works!

--Ron

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I’ve often been in that position, although I tended to aim for three lenses. My last, and undoubtedly best combo was my D850 with 70-200/2.8 and 58/1.4

I still have, because I haven’t listed it on eBay yet, a Sigma FP with 45/2.8 and 65/2. I don’t use it though, because I really do need to sell it!

If money were no object, it’d be a bit of a dilemma because common sense would definitely dictate a Z9,  as for lenses, the 70-200/2.8 and probably a 50/1.8.

HOWEVER! Thirty years ago, I owned a Leica M3 with a 50/2 Summicron Collapsible and a 90/4 and I’d be really tempted by an M11. In this case the lens choice would be easy, although a bit strange - the 50mm Apo Summicron Aspherical and the 75mm f1.25 Noctilux. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I’ve often been in that position, although I tended to aim for three lenses. My last, and undoubtedly best combo was my D850 with 70-200/2.8 and 58/1.4

I still have, because I haven’t listed it on eBay yet, a Sigma FP with 45/2.8 and 65/2. I don’t use it though, because I really do need to sell it!

If money were no object, it’d be a bit of a dilemma because common sense would definitely dictate a Z9,  as for lenses, the 70-200/2.8 and probably a 50/1.8.

HOWEVER! Thirty years ago, I owned a Leica M3 with a 50/2 Summicron Collapsible and a 90/4 and I’d be really tempted by an M11. In this case the lens choice would be easy, although a bit strange - the 50mm Apo Summicron Aspherical and the 75mm f1.25 Noctilux. 

Why that lens pair for the Leica? From what I have seen of your work, I think of you more as the 50 Noctilux 1.2 and APO-Summicron 90 2.0 type. Less coma, but slightly more CA with the normal and a longer, fully apochromatic short tele.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

I'm almost there now w/ older stuff, and have contemplated that exact thing.

Nikon Z7II, 24-200, 35/1.8 but too poor.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My Leica pairing would be a #11726 Summilux 35/1.4 (The new version with the collapsible hood) and a #11673 Summicron 75/2 on, probably the same #20200 M11body as John.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

My Leica pairing would be a #11726 Summilux 35/1.4 (The new version with the collapsible hood) and a #11673 Summicron 75/2 on, probably the same #20200 M11body as John.

I'd be so happy to loose all my Nikon for a Leica Q2 Reporter and be done with it. Would be my last and only camera for me a 70 yrs old.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'd be so happy to loose all my Nikon for a Leica Q2 Reporter and be done with it. Would be my last and only camera for me a 70 yrs old.

I would be happy enough with the ordinary Q2 now that firmware 4 is out... I couldn't pare things down that far yet, though.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

The 35 Summilux is a lovely lens but I had a 35 Summicron R on a Leica RE and I couldn’t get on with that focal length, much as I love the idea of it.

I like 24mm and I love the 45 on my Sigma, but I just can’t get comfortable with anything in between. 

Why that lens pair for the Leica? From what I have seen of your work, I think of you more as the 50 Noctilux 1.2 and APO-Summicron 90 2.0 type. Less coma, but slightly more CA with the normal and a longer, fully apochromatic short tele.

I’ve always liked 50mm lenses and I think the APO Summicrom Asph. is what happens when someone gets to design the best 50mm lens that can be designed. No cost constraints, no extreme aperture, just performance and subtlety, so I’d love to own one. I also like the 90mm focal length but I’m a bit of a fan of the Karbe-era lenses and the pics I’ve seen coming from that 75 Noctilux are just stunning.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

If you were restricted to use only two lenses and one body, what would your choices be?

i would go with a Z6II and currently, my AF-S 14-24/2.8 on an FTZ and the Z 70-200/2.8 S.

I would like to update my 14-24 to the Z 14-24/2.8 S, but it is difficult to explain why to an accountant. The slightly lower quality of the output from the AF-S doesn’t lose me any customers as I know how to shoot around its limitations…

I'm replying as a non-professional based on what I currently own.

The body choice is an easy one for me...my D500. The choice of lenses is another matter. Since I enjoy shooting wildlife, one lens would have to be my full frame Nikon AF-P FX 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR. I like the results it produces on my DX bodies. The other would probably be my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC (DX) OS HSM Contemporary. It's a great general purpose lens that includes some wide angle capability.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The 35 Summilux is a lovely lens but I had a 35 Summicron R on a Leica RE and I couldn’t get on with that focal length, much as I love the idea of it.

I like 24mm and I love the 45 on my Sigma, but I just can’t get comfortable with anything in between. 

I’ve always liked 50mm lenses and I think the APO Summicrom Asph. is what happens when someone gets to design the best 50mm lens that can be designed. No cost constraints, no extreme aperture, just performance and subtlety, so I’d love to own one. I also like the 90mm focal length but I’m a bit of a fan of the Karbe-era lenses and the pics I’ve seen coming from that 75 Noctilux are just stunning.

I have played a bit with the 75 Noctilux, and the mass distribution feels all wrong. It isn't only that it is on the heavy side, but most of that mass is up front. It just feels front heavy to me. How it renders is sublime, though.

For me, a Summilux 35, whatever the version is very much a nostalgic thing as my boss liked to set me free to document the reception after a wedding with a 35 Summilux on an M2 loaded with HP5 rated at 29 DIN. This is what a pure Leica is to me. 

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

well 70-200mm z mount lens with 17-28mm F/2.8 s lens and Z9 camera body. since can do 8k or 4k video and if need faster action shots turn it into 11 megapixel camera get 120 frame rate per second so do not miss plays for sports. not auto racing. 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

The Leica M9 and Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5 and Nikkor-QC 13.5cm F4. Both from the same batch of lenses that DDD bought. The lenses that put Nikon on the Map.

This is a NIKON forum...

I could never pare down that far. Picked up the Nikon Z5 to use lenses that I've not used in a long time. 

I have 20 or so Leica lenses- all vintage, from the 1930s Summar and Elmar, 5cm F1.5 Xenon, 5cm f2 Summicrons, etc.  Spending $10K on a new lens, not me. I picked up the 75/1.25 7artisans for $450 and just bought a 75/1.5 Mitakon for $400. Both for low-light. Both for use on the M9, but will also try on the Z5.

For the kind of shooting I like, the difference in the resolution of the $400 lens and Noctilux $10,000 lens would be lost.

L1020690.jpg

7Art 75/1.25, wide-open on the Leica M9. Between motion blur, narrow DOF, and "almost in focus"- I'm very happy with the $450 lens.