Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Removing a Spot

#nikond7100 #techissue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Bent_Rider

Bent_Rider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, friends. I have a problem with a small brown spot appearing on every picture I take with my Nikon D7100. Yesterday I cleaned the wide angle lens I have on it, plus the UV filter mounted on the lens. I also brushed out the mirror inside the body. But the spot is still there. Any ideas on what else to do to remove it?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sounds like sensor spots. You need to do a sensor clean cycle. I don’t have a D7100 manual downloaded on the iPad, so I can’t check the precise procedure for you. If you look for sensor cleaning, you will find the relevant passages.

You start by starting a mirror up cycle from somewhere in the settings menu. Don’t just do a normal mirror up as the shutter won’t open doing that.

When you have the mirror up and the shutter open, look all over the sensor area for dirty marks, dust, moisture  drops or moisture rings. First try getting rid of the marks with a Giottos Rocketblower or equivalent. Don’t use a cheap blower, they tend to contaminate more than they clean…

If this doesn’t help, you need a wet clean. Either get it cleaned professionally or get a sensor cleaning kit made for DX sensors. Keep to one system, don’t get swabs from one brand and cleaning liquid from another as they are designed to be used as one system.

An uploaded photo showing the problem would be helpful as we can probably see from how the spot looks what has caused it.

Bent_Rider

Bent_Rider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks very much, Nikonian. I have my manual, so I think I can follow the instructions to do what you suggest.

In the meantime, I'll try to upload a photo illustration.

Thanks again.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Get a sensor cleaning kit from Amazon. I recently had a dirty sensor too.

Bent_Rider

Bent_Rider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

That's another good idea, Lightcapture. Thanks.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

It works

For crop sensor cameras

https://www.amazon.c...n,aps,76&sr=8-4

For full frame cameras

https://www.amazon.c...t,aps,58&sr=8-3

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Get a sensor cleaning kit from Amazon. I recently had a dirty sensor too.

… or support your lokal camera store rather than the evil empire! There are too few brick and mortar stores left today because of the convenience of mail order. 

Bent_Rider

Bent_Rider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

New_House.jpg

Here's a picture with the spot on the gray roof, to the left side of the entrance.

I found the sensor cleaning menu on my D7100 and tried it. It didn't remove the spot. I think my next step will be to take it to a camera shop where I've done business before.

Thanks for all the  input.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Definitely looks like a dust spot. A professional cleaning gives you both a clean sensor and peace of mind. The first few times you clean the sensor, there is the doubt that one is doing it right…

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,755 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Here's a picture with the spot on the gray roof, to the left side of the entrance.

I found the sensor cleaning menu on my D7100 and tried it. It didn't remove the spot. I think my next step will be to take it to a camera shop where I've done business before.

Thanks for all the  input.

That's a giant of a spot.

I would have thought it visible on the sensor with the lens removed & the mirror 'up'.

Bent_Rider

Bent_Rider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

...and the rest of the story...

I just picked up the camera from the local camera store. It's clean! No more spots! Definitely worth having a professional clean it.

So I'm back in business, friends.