Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

got tickets for restaurant pageant. what lenses to take or use

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

going to restaurant and doing pageant. local hooter doing pink bikini contest raise money for cancer. i have nikon Z6 camera. i have Z 28-75mm F/2.8 nikon F mount i have dx 12-24mm F/4 85mm F/1.8 105mm macro F/2.8 not sure if have 50mm F/1.8 or gave to to brother. what would you use. i have flash but not sure want to use or not. also camera buddy picking me up is has sony mirrorless thinks has ultra wide angle zoom lens or 24-70mm. he has lastest lens mount adapter. so has many prime lens. might have 85mm prime not sure. what would be best to use for indoor restaurant pageant. lighting will be good but super great with why place setup

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I haven't been inside a Hooters in quite awhile but, if memory serves, they are relatively dark. So, you'll either need to use flash or fast lenses and high ISO's. I've never used a Z6 but if you can push the ISO above 6400 without incurring a lot of noise, that should work. Since it's a contest, I imagine the stage area will be well lit in any case. However, if you have an iTTL flash I would definitely take it, just in case. In fact, for situations like this, iTTL flash is like magic, even if the lighting is good. 

As for lenses, I've found that in cases like this, you really don't want to be fooling around changing lenses a lot. That's a good way to miss a lot of the action. So, I guess I'd probably use the Z 28~75mm f/2.8 as much as possible. The only other lens that would be a good candidate is the 85mm f/1.8 and, while it's an excellent lens, I'm not sure that extra 10mm of reach is worth the hassle involved in changing lenses. Since it's a bikini contest you probably won't be doing many head shots anyway.

Hope this helps some... good luck!

--Ron

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Seems like your 28-75 is the most versatile, nice zoom range not knowing what to expect, and good speed for indoors.