Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Choice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I have just bought a new Z5 plus a FTZ Mkii adaptor in a very good deal from London Camera Exchange. I already have the F mount Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 D lens but am wondering if buying the Nikon Z 24-70 f/4S would be a good move. I would use it mainly tripod-mounted for indoor portraits in natural light and it would be my first Z lens to supplement the other F mount lenses I have-  Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6, Nikon 50mm f/1.8G and a Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 macro. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you can swing it, the Z 24-120/4 S is an even better lens, and if there is room, you can take that crucial step back for a more flattering head-and-shoulders portrait that will cost you some cropping @70 mm.

Compared to the 24-70, you get an L-fn button and the third ring that can be set to control ISO, for example. I don’t regret buying my 24-70, but had the 24-120 been out yet when I bought it, I would definitely have got that instead.

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Mmm. I see what you're saying. Maybe  bit too expensive, new, for me at the moment and I can't see any used.The dilemma is that I can get the 24-70 f/4 S in 'Like New' condition for £340. 

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands
I'm not sure if you've found out that the Af-D lenses don't auto focus on the Z cameras, so the 24-70 f4 would be a good choice, it's the lens I bought with my Z5, it's a cracking, sharp lens, auto focus is instant.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

There are lots of used 24-70/4 lenses out there as it was, and is, the kit lens for the Z6 and Z6 II, so people got them cheap and are now upgrading to the 24-120, I think. As supplies of the 24-120 is still low enough that they are often on backorder, they seldom turn up used.

As I tend to use my old to *very* old 85 and 105 mm primes for portraiture, I don’t feel any urgency to get a 24-120 yet.

The background sometimes renders a bit busy, but the 24-70 definitely isn’t boring and overcorrected…

Here is a sample gallery. Z 24-70 S - Gallery - NikonForums.com

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Yes the 24-70 is a stellar lens. The main problem for portraits would be the wider depth of field from f4. It's a fantastic medium telephoto for general photography. It doesn't mean it won't work for portraits. Your current 105 macro may be better. The nicely priced Z50mm/1.8S or Z28-75/2.8 would be better as a portrait lens.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Another vote for the 24-70mm. I got a refurbished one as a walk around lens for my Z 50. I've never been disappointed with images it produces...top notch IMO.

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Many thanks for alł the replies. A compelling case made for buying the Z 24-70. 

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I suppose the next question would be would I notice an improvement in image quality with Z lenses from the FX lenses with adapter?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You *will* notice the difference! Native Z lenses take advantage of the shorter register distance and bigger throat diameter to lessen the compromises needed compared to F-mount. For long teles, the difference is marginal, but for short to medium focal lengths, there is more diffence than I thought there would be.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

just like Merco_61 go with the  Z 24-120/4 s model lens best bet. but since have other have 90mm F/2.8 and 50mm F/1.8. the  Z 24-120/4 best for range. not sure how good of lighting equipment you have too. since being closer to sensor you get more backlite do to fact how close sensor is to lens. also do need to be around 120mm range too. if not get used f mount 105mm macro save you cash unless want z mount lenses. i did not really need them. but when got cash and 17-28mm and 28-75mm came out great buy. since half cost of 24-70mm and 14-24mm. never buy anything can not afford to have or go over budget.