Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sporting Lens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

roblambert1951

roblambert1951

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi guys. I currently use a D3200 for my football photography. I have two lenses ,a Nikkor 55-300mm1:4.5-5.6 and a Sigma Contempary 150-600mm 1.5-6.3dg. While i'm reasonably happy with the Nikkor I find the Sigma way to heavy. What's your thoughts on an in between lens ? TIA

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Do you use any manner of camera support? A monopod, perhaps?

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Sigma is the lightest in its class. If you can get by with 400 mm at the long end, Sigma and Tamron make affordable 100-400 lenses that have much less mass to carry around. The AF-S 80-400G is another option, a bit more mass than the Sigma or Tamron but both AF speed, AF accuracy and VR are better than the third-party competition. Stay away from the older AF version as it is very much inferior optically and won’t autofocus on your D3200.

If you haven’t tried it, get a monopod for your 150-600. It might be enough help to get it usable.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Nikon's afs 80-400G ED is a pretty compact and light option. It's a bit pricey, but used prices aren't bad though. I've thought a lot about this lens because my 70-300 is a bit short too.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

I used the Sigma 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 DG OS HSM C for several years. Earlier this year, I replaced it with a lighter Tamron AF 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DI-II VC HLD lens which has exceeded my expectations for a lens with such a broad focal length range. That said, I also use a full frame AF-P FX 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR on my D500 for telephoto action shooting.