Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RAW Image Colour Profile Issues between Mirrorless and DSLR

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Geoffthemonk

Geoffthemonk
  • Country Flag

Hi folks I am a wedding photographer and I have been shooting for over 6 years. With the world moving towards mirrorless, last year I decided to take the plunge as well. I got myself a Z7ii. Love the camera and the features, specially the fact that my Z7ii+ 70-200 is a lot lighter than my D810+70-200 and I can carry it around with a lot more ease now through the day.

First a little bit of background before I post my question..My partner and I use four different bodies amongst us, D750, D810, D850 and the new Z7ii. As you would expect, we only shoot raw. All camera firmwares are fully up to date.  I do not mess with the white balance when shooting because I am shooting raw. I get the white balance in post to my liking. All cameras are set to shoot in Auto white balance. I also use Spyder to keep my monitors fully colour calibrated at all times as I not only want to do that for photo processing but also for printing at home with my Epson P800.  

Now the interesting situation is that my RAW images coming out of all three DSLRs are very comparable for white balance and colour temperature, while the RAW images from my Z7ii come out with a fairly different white balance/colour temperature profile. I certainly line them all up in post before I deliver the images to my clients but all of my Z7ii images need extra work/processing time, to line them up with images from the other three DSLRs. What am I missing here. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there anyone else on this forum who uses a combination of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras? 

As additional info, the lenses I'm using are

Nikon 24-7- f2.8G

Nikon 70-200 f2.8G

Sigma ART 12-24 f2.8G

Nikon 50 f1.4G

Nikon 85 f1.4D

Nikon MACRO 105 f2.8

For culling I am using Photmechanic

For editing I use Lightroom + Photoshop (both subscription versions and fully up to date)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

GW

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I suspect that ACR interprets the raw files differently. I mix and match D700, D750, D7200, Z50, Zfc and Z6II without discrepancies in Photo Ninja, but I have calibrated all sensors using a Colorchecker… It should be possible to calibrate your full workflow using ACR, I just am not familiar enough with the Adobe applications these days as I don’t use them for raw conversions.

Geoffthemonk

Geoffthemonk
  • Country Flag

Thanks so much for your quick reply Merco_61. Any chance you could guide me with on how to calibrate the sensor using Colorchecker. I do have the colorchecker colur pelette, I just dont know how to calibrate the sensors on the cameras. Any Youtube video or something.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This video tells how to build a profile that can be imported into most apps, not only LR CC. https://youtu.be/dwg9k2C1pek

This one seems to concentrate on LR Classic and the plugin for that app.
https://youtu.be/ecdWaaagcfQ

I hope they are useful, as I said, I don’t use LR or PS for raw conversions anymore.