Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Johnny'sN80

Johnny'sN80

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hello Everyone

I currently use a Nikon D80 and I would like to get a long length lens for it.

I normally shoot landscapes, cars, architecture and fireworks.

I'm a decent photographer for a hobbyist, and I think a long length lens would add to my portfolio.

I would like a lens in the 100mm - 400mm range

What lenses should I consider?

Thanks,

Johnny

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Hello Everyone

I currently use a Nikon D80 and I would like to get a long length lens for it.

I normally shoot landscapes, cars, architecture and fireworks.

I'm a decent photographer for a hobbyist, and I think a long length lens would add to my portfolio.

I would like a lens in the 100mm - 400mm range

What lenses should I consider?

Thanks,

Johnny

What's your budget Johnny?

Johnny'sN80

Johnny'sN80

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi Pete

Is $500.00 too low?

I know they can be expensive

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The one I would recommend is usually about twice your budget in good condition, but it is a very nice pro grade tele zoom. I'm talking about the AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR.

If the budget won't stretch that far, the AF-S 70-300 VR worked really nice on the 10, 12 and 16 MP DX sensors, but gets a bit mushy from 230 mm or so on the 24 and 20 MP DX sensors. The corners look nice on 12 MP FX, but it shows its age already on the D4 sensor and it gets more visible on the later, higher resolution sensors.

A first-gen 70-200/2.8 can be found for around $700 or so in good condition and takes the 1.7X converter well if you need more reach after using it for a while. It predates the FX bodies by some years and vignettes a bit much on FX.

Keep away from the screw-drive 80-400 as it focuses slow as molasses and also keep away from the AF-S 80-200 as there are no spares available to repair them when they wear out.

The third generation of the 70-200 has electronic aperture actuation and won't work on a D80. The AF-P lenses aren't compatible either.

The photos in this post from 2016 are all shot with an AF-S 80-400 on a D300.

Johnny'sN80

Johnny'sN80

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Peter and Pete.
Most likely I'll be buying my new to me lens used. If I go over budget that's fine with me. I just want to get a reliable lens for the money. I like my D80 but after reading some of the posts I feel I may have upgrade cameras and lenses in the future.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

I'm partial in this recommendation, but after a lot of research and back and for forth for months, I landed on a preowned AF-P 70-300mm f4.5-5.6E ED VR lens (not the AF-S version). It's the best 70-300 Nikon has ever made with superb optics even challenging their 70-200 f4, but with extra reach. It's the best you can do for very reasonable pre-owned prices.

It is a full frame lens so on your crop sensor D80 it would be a 105-450mm. If you upgrade to a FF body you'd be set.

Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens | Interchangeable lens from Nikon

They make a DX version that's not as good but cheaper if that's necessay to fit your budget.

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED | Interchangeable Lens from Nikon

If you shop around you can pick them up for $350-450 usd. There's a mint one on ebay w/ start bid at $200.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm partial in this recommendation, but after a lot of research and back and for forth for months, I landed on a preowned AF-P 70-300mm f4.5-5.6E ED VR lens (not the AF-S version). It's the best 70-300 Nikon has ever made with superb optics even challenging their 70-200 f4, but with extra reach. It's the best you can do for very reasonable pre-owned prices.

It is a full frame lens so on your crop sensor D80 it would be a 105-450mm. If you upgrade to a FF body you'd be set.

Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens | Interchangeable lens from Nikon

They make a DX version that's not as good but cheaper if that's necessay to fit your budget.

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED | Interchangeable Lens from Nikon

If you shop around you can pick them up for $350-450 usd. There's a mint one on ebay w/ start bid at $200.

The problem is that the D80 isn’t compatible with AF-P lenses.

https://www.nikonimg...ed=1&lang=en_GB

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

The problem is that the D80 isn’t compatible with AF-P lenses.

https://www.nikonimg...ed=1&lang=en_GB

I should have know you'd be informed. I didn't think of checking. The OP will have to get the AF-S G lens as you suggested...still a great lens until the AF-P version came out.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Peter and Pete.
Most likely I'll be buying my new to me lens used. If I go over budget that's fine with me. I just want to get a reliable lens for the money. I like my D80 but after reading some of the posts I feel I may have upgrade cameras and lenses in the future.

The price ranges I quoted were for used lenses...

Unless you start playing with available dark or action photos, the D80 is a nice little camera. In fact, you need to go all the way to the D500 or later to get better colour renditions from a DX sensor. The files from the D80/D200 are a delight to work with as long as you don't intend to produce larger than 17" short edge enlargements or raise the ISO too far.

If you start pushing your own boundaries in the weekly challenges and just shoot to share photos you are proud of, you will find out how much the old D80 can do still. I used a D300 until I gave it away last spring. Shoot lots and evaluate all you shoot to get more keepers. Use the camera you have until you find that it hinders your development. Until then, you don't *need* to upgrade, even if you might *want* a newer camera.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

he has options and i know few lenses if can find old used older model can get 100-400mm but not sure if have auto focus i had one that was push to pull. if you look around on inter net will find some also check ebay has some for good deal in price range for 100-400mm or 80-400mm range on ebay for good deal but press your luck on lenses. since have trust buyer

keh has old 80-400mm lens. i had old model push to pull 100-400mm that need motor to run auto focus 

this might work check link to keh for this lens 

https://www.keh.com/...MoaAv_GEALw_wcB

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

he has options and i know few lenses if can find old used older model can get 100-400mm but not sure if have auto focus i had one that was push to pull. if you look around on inter net will find some also check ebay has some for good deal in price range for 100-400mm or 80-400mm range on ebay for good deal but press your luck on lenses. since have trust buyer

keh has old 80-400mm lens. i had old model push to pull 100-400mm that need motor to run auto focus 

this might work check link to keh for this lens 

https://www.keh.com/...MoaAv_GEALw_wcB

I wrote a warning about this lens above.

”Keep away from the screw-drive 80-400 as it focuses slow as molasses”

It has too much glass to move for the screw-drive AF to work well.