Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I wish…

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nikon would listen to the needs and wants of street photographers. 

They make close to the perfect street camera (The Zfc), but where are the lenses?

A trio of compact, fastish DX primes would make it the true heir to the heritage of the Nikkormats and the FM/FE.

Back in the day, the street kit was a quality, compact body that was easy to use, just like the Zfc of today. Lenses were the 24/2 or 24/2.8, 50/1,2 or 50/1.4 and 105/2.5. The kit was often supplemented with a 35/1.4 or 35/2. 

I would love to see a set consisting of a 16, a 35 and a 70 mm prime, maybe with a 23 or 24 as a half-step. These would correspond closely to the field of view of the set of yesteryear, even if they wouldn’t match the shallow DOF without getting really expensive. In real life, we seldom shot wide open as street is more about documenting day to day life than creating art. I think f/1.8 would be fast enough, maybe with a faster 35 as an option.

Olympus and Panasonic understand, and the Oly 12, 25 and 45 make for a wonderful street kit that made me think much more than twice before committing to the Z DX platform.

lightcapture

lightcapture
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Agreed! A 35mm f1.8 (equivalent prime) would be king for me for street. Also great for take everywhere compact camera.

Fuji has this sector covered perfectly, with great reviews too. 

X System | Fujifilm [United States]

I had a x100T fixed lens rangefinder and it was great.

Ron

Ron
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

This is kind of what I was hoping for with the Z30, but Nikon dashed my hopes majorly there. A nice range finder camera ... can have a totally digital or hybrid digital/optical range finder (but it MUST have a rangefinder), and a nice set of DX lenses to compliment it. As you said, Peter, they don't necessarily need to be fast, although that doesn't hurt, but they should be as compact as the camera. 

I haven't looked too closely at the Zfc camera but it seems petite enough to make a good street camera. Of course, the last thing you want to do on the street is hang some largish lens on the front, especially if you have to resort to an adapter. I don't suppose they make a black painted version... anyway.

Since Nikon started making full frame cameras, DX has become their ugly stepchild. They only occasionally toss a bone in DX's direction... which is too bad.

--Ron

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

I bought a Viltrox AF DX Z 23mm f1.4 for my Z 50. It's quite good.

https://viltroxstore...-56mm-f1-4-lens

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I bought a Viltrox AF DX Z 23mm f1.4 for my Z 50. It's quite good.

https://viltroxstore...-56mm-f1-4-lens

Would you care to share some examples of what it can do?

It's too bad that they don't make a 16 or a 70. The 13 is a bit too wide for my taste and the 56 is not long enough. The 23 and 33 are a bit close together. 

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

It's too bad that they don't make a 16 or a 70. The 13 is a bit too wide for my taste and the 56 is not long enough. The 23 and 33 are a bit close together. 

I wish I could but, unfortunately, I'm on an extended road trip so I don't have access to my home PC and backup drive where such examples reside.

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

well here main issue we have right now covid-19 slowed everything down chip market too. also fact nikon want to get more and more full frame stuff out. they are in works. but going to take time. your best bet is third party lens in till nikon get more. also be lucky nikon not pulling a canon and not allowing third party to make lenses for mirrorless body's 

lightcapture

lightcapture
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

As you know Merco_61, you can use any z lens on the zfc. Just have to allow for the 1.5x crop factor but the lenses are a bit pricey. I'd be considering the Z24mm f1.8s lens on a Zfc for a 35mm equivalent focal length. Or even the compact Z28mm f2.8. Would be a nice street/travel package.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The problem is that the FX lenses are so big. It is easier to be a fly on the wall with a 52 mm front element than a 72 mm one. I want to try using the AF-S 24/1.8 on an FTZ on the Zfc to find out if it suits my style before I invest in the Z version.

The only camera I have been comfortable using a 28 on was the Kodak DCS760 with an APS-H sensor.

The 24-50-105 with a 35 as a half-step set makes it so easy to pre-visualize after all these years.

lightcapture

lightcapture
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

I know what you mean. The 35mm is engrained into my shooting eye after all these years. Now I'm finding the 24 was easy to adjust too, better than a 20mm in my film days.

Too bad Nikon didn't make the 16-50 (24-70 ff) a constant 3.5 or f4. I also wonder how a Zfc w/ my 24/1.8 and adaptor would handle, as well as my 35/1.8 but then big like a z24 lens.

For $300usd the Viltrox 23mm 1.4 looks quite nice. It does use ED glass, but not aspherical and Nano coating like Nikons 28 and 16-50

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have tried the AF-S 24/1.8 on FTZ now. I don't like it on the Zfc at all. It works well for architecture, but it is just too large for my type of street photography.

Until I find a good, small 24, the Z 35/1.8 S on the Z6II works better for me for street. I will have to give my Ai 24/2 a CLA and try it on the FTZ on the Zfc and on the Z50 as the next step. I might try the AF 24/2.8 D as well, this combo should at least show the aperture in EXIF, even if the manual focus feel isn't nice.

I look forward to seeing Bluzman's examples from the Viltrox

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The AF 24/2.8D performs above my expectations. 

Nearly empty streets... - Street Photography - NikonForums.com

Focusing manually works well with focus peaking turned on and zoom in on Fn under CF f2

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Peter,

While searching for something unrelated, I came across these jpgs on my travel laptop. I took with the Viltrox DX Z 23mm f1.4 AF lens on my Z 50 the day the lens arrived while standing at my front door. The intention was only to insure the lens was functional. Not sure they'll help in your quest but here they are. BTW, they're all SOOC with some minimal lighting tweaks and, in some cases, cropping.

Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
F Number: f/1.6
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

8JjyTAzh.jpg

Exposure Time: 1/2000 sec
F Number: f/2.0

WiO6UgKh.jpg

Exposure Time: 1/160 sec
F Number: f/1.4

mYeEY27h.jpg

Exposure Time: 1/160 sec
F Number: f/10.0

AxQnEw3h.jpg

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

nikon is listen and coming out with better lenses you need Merco_61 they have 18-28mm F/2.8 coming out and some other company's make prime lenses for what you want cheaper then nikon but most do not have autofocus 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The Tamron-derived 17-28 will probably have a 67 mm front element. 
I hope the compact 24 will work for my needs.

I will probably go with an adapted 15 mm Voigtländer Heliar to get a wide lens, rather than a large wide angle zoom.

lightcapture

lightcapture
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

If I purchased a Zfc I would not hesitate to purchase the Viltrox 23mm/f1.4 AF lens for $300 USD as my go to street lens.

The lens looks sharp, but the bokeh looks a bit busy from the one photo shown by Bluzman. It's hard to tell how far the background is away as that may be a factor.

https://viltroxstore...=39474544017474