Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

EN-EL12 Newmowa Replacement Batteries work great!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

The OEM EN-EL12 was out of stock worldwide, so I purchased some of these:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07447TDSX/

Great Deal - 1,150 mAh, as opposed to both of my OEM 1,050 En-El12s.  Great battery life and great price.   

So now, I need extra EN-EL20s, but Nikon USA wants $50.95 for just 1 of their out of stock OEMs!  I don't think so!

Nikon EN-EL20a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Batteries | Nikon

I just bought three of these - 6 batteries and three chargers for the same price:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B096876B8Q/

The third-party batteries are 1,400 mAh, as opposed to the OEM 1,100,

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I hope they keep working great... BMS system in third-party batteries are often simpler than in the original batteries, letting the charge become more unbalanced before the load balancing starts. This shortens the life of the cells inside the battery.

One thing to be aware of is that the capacity of third-party batteries often are measured with a smaller load than Nikon uses, getting a higher measured capacity as there is less loss to heat under a small load.

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

I hope they keep working great... BMS system in third-party batteries are often simpler than in the original batteries, letting the charge become more unbalanced before the load balancing starts. This shortens the life of the cells inside the battery.

One thing to be aware of is that the capacity of third-party batteries often are measured with a smaller load than Nikon uses, getting a higher measured capacity as there is less loss to heat under a small load.

Ty - I got them in February, and no problems with battery life or any other problems so far.  Let's hope my Newmowa EN-EL20 replacements are just as reliable.  Unbelievable price difference, as I just purchased 6 batteries and 3 USB chargers for the price of one OEM battery without a charger!!

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

Marco_61 is a wise man.  I noticed that the OEM EN-EL12 and EN-EL20 batteries take longed to charge (same charger) when fully depleted than the Newmowa equivalents, so basic math and common-sense show that the Newmowa mAh claims are full of crap.  God, I hate marketing departments!  I have the patience I'll time this to figure out the exact difference and post my findings here.

The Newmowa equivalents are still as great deal though.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,113 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMexican girl in Barcelona Spain

Site Supporter

I used these TM  Patona and DSTE for batteries EN-EL18 and EN-EL4 and the results were very good, better than expected. And the ratting is OK on Amazon.

I know are not the same batteries models than EN-EL12 but EN-EL18 is used by the top Flagship Nikon cameras, so it's important to consider the 3rd Party trademarks used by the users of their expensive cameras.

I often chat with another users about batteries, and they agree with me these are the best replacements from the originals.

Of course, the Nikon originals are the best, but the price and the out of stock sometimes because you need a new replacement with trusted quality.

Be careful, it's not a competition to find the cheapest batteries. Quality, it's important too.

Nikon Originals duration is about 20- 25 % more than all 3rd party batteries more time and never cause overheat or side effects, I replaced when no more choice.

Life of Nikon batteries are longer too, some 3rd Company fast passes from Life 0 to 1 so be careful about it.

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been using these replacements for 7 months now and have had no problems at all.  I ended up getting 4 sets of 2, as when I go for long birding hikes, I use a lot of batteries.  I changed my auto-shutoff to 30 minutes, and have Snapbridge running all the time, so these things add to battery drainage.  I don't notice any battery life difference in the field.  The OEM takes longer to charge, but otherwise, I can't tell the difference between the batteries at all.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,113 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Newmowa don't fabricate all Nikon batteries models, only low capacity batteries.

Maybe you discover a good trademark for low capacity batteries, but still careful. ^_^

Few tips for you:

Try to use always the Newmowa battery charger with the Newmowa batteries, don't use the Nikon original charger, usually 3rd party batteries works better with his own charger and replace the Nikon original charger it's quite expensive if the batteries damage it.

If you see any size warp distortion in the battery, don't use it anymore.

If you see the battery temperature is abnormal high when you charge it or done any strange sound. Don't use it anymore.

Summertime is when usually when shit happens, so be extremely carefully with the temperatures, if your camera reset or start to suddenly off, remove the battery fast as you can, the thermic components of the cheap batteries is a piece of crap. -_-

I tested Patona and DSTE EN-EL18 and EN-EL4 in summer with photo seasons of 8–10 hours of continual use and abuse :P and worked quite well, and the original Nikon charger is working fine with them. But I see the Nikon originals finished the day of season with more battery charge difference between 10% to 20%. Yes, I can live with this, but it's an important fact. :huh:

Discharge ratio speed when you're not using the camera is also 20- 25% faster than the original Nikon one.

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

Newmowa don't fabricate all Nikon batteries models, only low capacity batteries.

Maybe you discover a good trademark for low capacity batteries, but still careful. ^_^

Few tips for you:

Try to use always the Newmowa battery charger with the Newmowa batteries, don't use the Nikon original charger, usually 3rd party batteries works better with his own charger and replace the Nikon original charger it's quite expensive if the batteries damage it.

If you see any size warp distortion in the battery, don't use it anymore.

If you see the battery temperature is abnormal high when you charge it or done any strange sound. Don't use it anymore.

Summertime is when usually when shit happens, so be extremely carefully with the temperatures, if your camera reset or start to suddenly off, remove the battery fast as you can, the thermic components of the cheap batteries is a piece of crap. -_-

I tested Patona and DSTE EN-EL18 and EN-EL4 in summer with photo seasons of 8–10 hours of continual use and abuse :P and worked quite well, and the original Nikon charger is working fine with them. But I see the Nikon originals finished the day of season with more battery charge difference between 10% to 20%. Yes, I can live with this, but it's an important fact. :huh:

Discharge ratio speed when you're not using the camera is also 20- 25% faster than the original Nikon one.

Been six weeks since my last post, and still no problems with the replacements.  My P1000 didn't ship with a battery charger.  I was just supposed to charge via USB.  Again, my suspicion is that the OEM may indeed have more capacity, because it appears that this one takes longer to charge than the replacements.

When I have a chance, I'll scientifically test the capacity of the OEM vs a replacement and will write back with the results.

The Newmowa bundle went to $22.79 from $16.79, but still, two batteries and a charger for the price, when the OEM (finally in stock at Nikousa) is $50.95 for just one battery is a heck of a deal!  I can't imagine any math regarding the capacity difference and/or discharge rate could justify the cost of buying the OEM.

La Bikina

La Bikina

Nikonian

• Moderators
  • 1,113 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

EN-EL18 original battery price is more than $200 and the third party batteries average is about $50.

Sometimes buy original batteries as these prices are crazy, but you must mark the line about how much you want to pay for original replacements. For me x4 it's impossible to justify. But x2 I would still be paying it for sure.

In the other hand, original replacements are usually a lot better than the third party ones and never cause disgusting surprises to be minded about it.

Your report about EN-EL12 Newmowa will help Nikon users about third party batteries trademarks. ;)