Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What does this mean, anyway?

what does this mean?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

In a nutshell, I am about as technology talented as a spoiled clam.  No joke.  So my question is:  When reviewing EXIF data,

I have noticed Exposure Values at different ratings.  For example, +5 EV, or +3 EV and even a negative quantity such as:

-3 EV.  How in the world is it possible to achieve a 0EV?  To me, that is tantamount to saying I have a negative/plus

situation.  In other words, in my little pea brain, you either have light, or you don't.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Tony  :)

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,806 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Hello Tony:

Exposure Value

This evening I went out snapping shop-fronts. I set the camera to -1.0 EV (minus one stop), so the shop lighting wouldn't blow-out too much. One stop under-exposure.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Okay.  Well I understand that you used the preset to generate that information.  However, I have never used the presets for this function and yet I still on

occasion realize the 0EV.  So that tells me that there is an automatically programmed activity that produces that 0EV.  Well, back to the drawing board (Operating Manual)..

Thanks again.  Tony :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Spencer Cox has an excellent blog about EV here

What Pete wrote about in his answer is exposure compensation, that is also expressed in EV. The compensation is necessary as the meter is calibrated to render everything a neutral grey. Nasim Mansurov has written about this.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Many thanks, Peter.  Will certainly study up on it. 

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: what, does, this, mean?