Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Choice of camera

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Whipdip

Whipdip

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello

I have a d5100. And it's in very good condition and works fine. However I want to upgrade to a pro body. I've been leant a d810 and it's superb. However I've only used my dx lenses on it. Being able to crop my pictures more freely and still get far better quality results than I have been on my d5100 has been a joy. I've also learnt a lot more.

My question really is where do I go from here? I love the d810 but the budget doesn't allow a new lens for at least another year. Ideally getting a full frame I'd like to purchase a 24-70 to compliment it. I want a pro body and I think I want a full frame one too. Is it worth me looking at mirrorless? I don't think I'd gain anything from it but I could be future proofing myself...

My traits or shooting styles are quite broad. I'm not really honing in on one genre. I love wildlife photography but I don't have a 300mm+ lens. So I've always cropped. Hence why I'm finding the d810 a joy! I'm trying to do portrait photos now and taking people pictures with the d5100 is something I'd never try because I feel it just couldn't produce a good quality bokeh or focus pin point enough. (I'm not studio so I need to be focusing quickly). I've also found I love the size of the d810.

I could go for the d500. But I want the versatility I think a full frame delivers.

Basically on a budget. Do I just jump with the camera I love and wait til I can get the lens. Or do I go lens first?

Cheers

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I don’t see how shooting at a lower resolution gives you more room to crop. The D810 in DX mode is 15 MP, the D5100 is 16.

As you are on a budget, blowing it all on a body you don’t have the lenses for yet is a strange choice.

I would sell the D5100 and get a used D7200 instead and start building a lens set for FX by getting a 24-70 non-VR. This should be doable on a similar budget as a D810. The D7200 is a 24 MP body with about one stop better low-light AF than the D810.

Always go with glass before body. Glass will last, bodies come and go.