Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Focusing

focus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

reh321

reh321

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I have always been impressed by the focusing available to users of Nikon DSLR.

My understanding has always been that the company used a separate processor to deliver fast focusing to D5 and D500 users.

Are there any other DSLRs which have that system?

How do better {more expensive} Nikon MILCs provide fast focusing?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The blazing fast and accurate AF of the D5 and D500 is a product of the combination of the EXPEED 5 processor and the Multi-CAM 20K focus sensor. The same combination is used in the D850 as well. It is not a separate focusing processor, but it dedicates more threads in the processor to focusing than older EXPEED versions could do.

The D6 got the EXPEED 6 processor and the Multi-CAM 37K focus sensor, making for even faster AF.

The Single-processor MILCs uses EXPEED 6, but the readout from the AF system to the processor is slower than from the best dedicated modules. The two EXPEED 6 processors in the Z6II and Z7II compensate for this in most situations, but can hunt a bit more in low contrast situations than the best DSLRs

The Z9 sensor has a faster readout than the prosumer sensors, coupled with the EXPEED 7 processor it has the D6 beaten for all types of shooting from what I have read and heard from friends who have got their hands on the new flagship.

reh321

reh321

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
How do the D7200 and D7500 compare to that?
{I am most interested in focusing on speeding vehicles instead of flighty birds}

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

They both use the Multi-cam 3500 II AF module, even if the D7500 has EXPEED 5. The readout speed is nowhere near the Multi-CAM 20K focus module. The performance is similar in both these bodies, and about equal to the Canon 7D Mark II. 

They can be used for motorsports and aircraft, even with the consumer grade long tele zooms, but the D500 outperforms them significantly. For hand-held panning, I would hate the D7500 as I need the grip on a DX body to hold it comfortably with a long lens and longer exposures. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus