Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Flash works intermittently on D40 AUTO Mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

truthseeker

truthseeker

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi

On my D40 I prefer to shoot in AUTO Mode,  I am shooting indoors with a window backdrop so I wish to have my flash fire each shot.   The flash button is working and it does rise up but only fires here and and there,  it also depends on what I am aiming at but it doesn't appear to be consistent.

Is there some setting I am missing??  the flash fires every time on the other modes just not on AUTO, which again, due to my limited photography abilities is preferable.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In AUTO, the camera will make your decisions for you. The rather primitive metering algorithms in the D40 doesn’t recognize the need for fill flash when the light is sufficient to get some kind of statistically acceptable exposure. If you set Matrix metering and AUTOIso on and jpeg Large and sRGB for quality, using Program mode will in 95% of your photos give the same result as AUTO, but with control over the popup flash as it will always fire when it is raised.