Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fremlin Walk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Fremlin Walk, Earl Street, Maidstone.

Shopping centre built on the site of one of Kent's oldest brewery.

npUUaUe.jpg

D800E

24mm

1/2500

f8

ISO 640

brickie58

brickie58

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwales
Should have been named wobblin walk

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That's apparently one of those British things I don't understand.  Would someone explain this to me?  Only thing I can figure is, you park behind the building from a different street and walk out to this street?  Maybe a good four pint Guinness breakfast will help...

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,801 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Ah, the carpark is under the shopping centre. You can see the pedestrian exit. Climbing the stairs on the right, visitors may peruse the wonderful shops above.

Alternatively, stepping outside the centre into Earl Street, one can visit the many bars and restaurants there.

We don't bother, of course!

Our fine dining includes a bacon roll at McDonalds once a week.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ah, the carpark is under the shopping centre. You can see the pedestrian exit. Climbing the stairs on the right, visitors may peruse the wonderful shops above.

Alternatively, stepping outside the centre into Earl Street, one can visit the many bars and restaurants there.

We don't bother, of course!

Our fine dining includes a bacon roll at McDonalds once a week.

Now you've got me wondering if there's a different world down there.  They made something like that for a place called, ''Strawberry Square'' in the city of Harrisburg, about 25 miles from me.  There are passages under there that lead past an old part of the city that was buried well over 140 years ago.  You walk past buildings whose doors and windows  have been under ground all that time.  Some of them are still used by  tenants of the complex in the upper part who have access to the sub terainain world of the 1880's when they regraded the street to handle a subway for the traffic while the railroads maintained an even grade.  In short, some people and business's in the 1880's lost street access to the entire ground floor of their buildings to the regrading plan.  When they tore down the old buildings 100 years later for the Strawberry Square complex, they left some of the lower parts of the old buildings there, most though were dug out.