Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

lens repair drama with Nikon, advice needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

babielovah

babielovah

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

I sent my AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR to Nikon for repair because when it was pointed down, the lens will creep down on its own. I included a video here. However, after Nikon repaired it, the same problem persist. So I contacted Nikon, they told me this is normal for this lens. I'm no expert, but I'm little confused. I'm just not supposed to shoot photos point down then? Can anyone confirm if what they said is true, or is this a defect?

I also asked them then what did do for the $300+ repair fee I paid since this is consider normal. They gave me a list of stuff. I have no idea what most these things are. Can someone tell me if these things they did is worth my $300+ fees?

RPL HELICOID

RPR ZOOMING MECHANISM
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
CKD LENS MOUNT
CKD RESOLUTION
CKD INFINITY FOCUS
CKD FOCUSING MECHANISM
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Hello

certainly, on my AF-s DX 18-300 VR, lens creep is  a real nuisance. I've had two of them, they both did it.

My AF-s 28-300 VR G ED does not creep.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm not a lens or camera repair person, but as a retired gunsmith from what I see they did, the bill is probably fair.

They helicoiled something, meaning a most likely female thread had failed, they effectively drilled out the threads and set a helicoil in place.

Repair zooming mechanism-I'm not sure what may have been involved there.

Adjust focus operation and preformed several checks, plus general cleaning.  I imagine that alone was half-2/3 of the bill.

If you never put a screwdriver to the lens, I would ask why they needed to helicoil something.  To me, that would indicate someone either at Nikkor, (when the lens was assembled) or the repair shop, (taking it apart or putting it back together) damaged the threads on something and a helicoil was installed.  Not accusing you of anything, but in my shop experience, if I had to install a heilicoil it was almost always because a customer stripped the threads on something, (most commonly a scope mount or rings). 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I'm not a lens or camera repair person, but as a retired gunsmith from what I see they did, the bill is probably fair.

They helicoiled something, meaning a most likely female thread had failed, they effectively drilled out the threads and set a helicoil in place.

Repair zooming mechanism-I'm not sure what may have been involved there.

Adjust focus operation and preformed several checks, plus general cleaning.  I imagine that alone was half-2/3 of the bill.

If you never put a screwdriver to the lens, I would ask why they needed to helicoil something.  To me, that would indicate someone either at Nikkor, (when the lens was assembled) or the repair shop, (taking it apart or putting it back together) damaged the threads on something and a helicoil was installed.  Not accusing you of anything, but in my shop experience, if I had to install a heilicoil it was almost always because a customer stripped the threads on something, (most commonly a scope mount or rings). 

Helicoid, not helicoil. One of the helicoid units was replaced and something in the zoom linkages repaired.

The repair fee seems reasonable even if it still has some lens creep. Most superzoom lenses have some creep.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes Peter, I misread that.  I fall back on my age and worsening eyesight, and that's the story I'm sticking with. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

From what I see, they did quite a bit of work on your lens. Completely dissembled it and made some major repairs which included replacing that pesky Helicoid. And, for what they did, $300 doesn't seem too unreasonable. Especially, for Nikon.

As to why they decided to undertake this repair if they knew in advance that it would NOT fix the complaint is another matter. At the very least, I would have thought that they might contact you to give you the facts... most telephoto zoom lenses creep when pointed downward at least to some degree unless they have a locking mechanism... and then let you decide whether to spring for the other stuff. Maybe they thought that they could lessen the amount of creep by going inside and repairing/replacing those fiddly bits that can sometimes make these kinds of problems worse. I don't know... call, write, or email Nikon and see what they say about why they decided to make the repairs they made on your lens. There has to be a work order listing what the technician found when he/she dissembled your lens and what parts needed replacing or repairing. 

Also, not sure what you mean about "not supposed to shoot pointing down...". I'm not sure how you hold your camera/lens but I keep one hand on my camera and one hand on the lens when I'm shooting with a telephoto zoom, no matter which way it's pointed.

--Ron