Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Running with AF-D lens on my D750s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

VETTRAN

VETTRAN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

After purchasing two D750's, 24-120, 18-35, 70-300, I got tired of lugging all that weight and wanted to go back to primes for awhile especially since I generally shoot street and near-person photography.

Purchased a 35/2, 28/2.8, 50/1.4 (arriving tomorrow), and 60/2.8 all AF-D lens. They are all plenty sharp, and the colors are great. Suppose that the newer primes may be better, at least according to Dxomark, but all four lenses combined cost me under $600, which as you know is in the ballpark of a single new AF-S 1.8 prime. Also purchased a 50/1.8 G (new) and 85/1.8G (*bay). The 85 was about 1/2 price of new.

Haven't done a direct comparison between the AF-D and AF-S G lenses and probably will only do so looking at the final product and nothing scientific.

Will report and post photos after I shoot around some.

For me, there's something special about using a prime that I don't get using zooms.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I like going even further back in Nikon history on a D750.
Ai 24/2.8 is much more interesting than the AF-D version.

My favourites for street are either an Ai 35/1.4 or an Ai’d Nikkor-O 35/2 to be even more unobtrusive.
An Ai 50/1.2 is a nice normal. It isn’t quite up to the resolution of a D850, but it thrives on the D750.

An Ai 105/2.5 rounds out the set nicely.

On the wide side, I never liked the screw-drive lenses, but YMMV. The 50/1.8 D is nicer than the AF-S version and the 50/1.4 D IMNSHO. I like the 85/1.8D, but I know lots of people don’t like it at all. I find the 85/1.8 G overcorrected, but again, YMMV. The 105/2 DC is one of Nikon’s best, but it is neither light nor cheap.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

The AF-D 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor is very sharp, the AF-S version is poor by comparison. The AF-D series Micro-Nikkor lenses tend to be the best optical performers that Nikon made.

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Vetran, you have great lenses. I like the AF-D lenses. They're plenty sharp especially w/ a D750. It's been said that the colors are richer and warmer and have the famous classic Nikon look, because of the use of less glass elements and different formula.  I particularly like the 20, 85 and 180 from that era.

VETTRAN

VETTRAN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I received the 50/1.4 D lens and was shocked at the quality of the IQ. I've been in photography since 1975 and never owned a f/1.4 lens; plenty of f/1.8 lenses. This lens is very nice.

Looking at 105 f2.8D lenses on *Bay right now.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you go trawling the bay of e, keeping an eye open for the 105/2 DC might be worth your time. If you can find an affordable one, it is one of the most versatile short teles ever. I have used mine for portraits, events, concerts, weddings and landscape ever since I quit smoking and bought mine new using the saved money back in 1997.