Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SB-24 Flash With N6006 Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MastuhWaffles

MastuhWaffles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

So, I'm pretty new to photography stuff and recently picked up an N6006 which has worked great. In the manual it suggests the SB-24 flash as a good accessory, so I picked one up but the SB-24 manual doesn't specify the N6006.

The flash itself works but doesn't do a lot of the automatic features that its supposed to do in the manual. Like setting zoom with the lens etc..

The camera is talking to the flash, because if I have the flash set to TTL and I am in any other mode than Pm (automatic) the camera wont let me shoot. 

photo_2022-05-22_20-20-23.jpg

As you can see here the camera is in "balanced fill flash" but the flash it not.

MastuhWaffles

MastuhWaffles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Ok so I managed to figure this out for myself. By looking at later flashes they backdate the cameras into groups and show the feature list. So it is the camera that lacks the features to drive the flash to it's fullest extent, however it still does TTL balanced fill flash.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Clean the contacts, both on the speedlite and the camera. It should transfer the ISO and aperture settings to the flash automatically as well as setting the reflector to the correct zoom setting as long as the head is set straight ahead. I never owned the SB-24 as I used Metz 40, 45 or 60 on my F4 and F801 bodies, but I have used them.

As the F-601(N6006) wasn't even in development when the SB-24 started production, it isn't strange that it isn't mentioned in the manual...

When communication works, TTL works in all modes and dragging the shutter in manual was always a favourite technique, even with the rudimentary TTL metering of the day.

If you check page 92 in the camera manual, it says that the camera is fully compatible with the SB-20, SB-22, SB-23 and SB-24 speedlights.

MastuhWaffles

MastuhWaffles

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Clean the contacts, both on the speedlite and the camera. It should transfer the ISO and aperture settings to the flash automatically as well as setting the reflector to the correct zoom setting as long as the head is set straight ahead. I never owned the SB-24 as I used Metz 40, 45 or 60 on my F4 and F801 bodies, but I have used them.

As the F-601(N6006) wasn't even in development when the SB-24 started production, it isn't strange that it isn't mentioned in the manual...

When communication works, TTL works in all modes and dragging the shutter in manual was always a favourite technique, even with the rudimentary TTL metering of the day.

If you check page 92 in the camera manual, it says that the camera is fully compatible with the SB-20, SB-22, SB-23 and SB-24 speedlights.

So it is compatible, but only with certain things. so in later flash manuals such as the SB-26 or 26 it actually groups the cameras into different tiers. Group 3 is my camera and can only support certain functions of the flash. The things I thought were missing, were indeed missing, however that is a function of the camera limitations.